Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Could it be threadworms if itching at the front?

(9 Posts)
Tinkjon Sat 12-Jul-08 07:14:59

I'm wondering if 5yo DD has threadworms [shudder] but she isn't itching at the back, only the front. She seems in pain with it, she says that it's like something is pushing inside and doesn't actually say it itches (though that could just be her describing it wrongly) and she's pointing to her vagina when I ask where it's hurting. What do you reckon - threaddworms a possibility?

Thankyouandgoodnight Sat 12-Jul-08 07:30:46

Sounds more like thrush. any redness or creamy white discharge? Did she put anything up inside?

Thankyouandgoodnight Sat 12-Jul-08 07:31:36

or it could be her urethra - does it hurt when she wees? That can feel a bit pressure like....

belgo Sat 12-Jul-08 07:42:00

You can check in her poo for threadworm. But as Thankyou says, sounds like thrush or a wee infection.

girlnextdoor Sat 12-Jul-08 08:20:04

There was a VERY long thread ( sorry for pun) on here a while back about this- basically, someone's DD had worms, but it took about 100 posts to get her to think along those lines and take DD to drs. The treatment for worms is over the counter- can't do any harm, so maybe try that first, take to drs with wee sample and see how she goes.

Girls do get vaginal/urethral symptoms with worms cos the little buggers crawl everywhere, and can cause a urine infection as they carry bacteria from anus.

Tinkjon Sat 12-Jul-08 22:35:28

I've given her a dose of the worm stuff anyway - we had it before and she complained of the same symptoms then... maybe she just isn't very good at describing what she's feeling? Can't see any discharge and she's not complaining of anything when she wees... aaaah, the joys of parenting. I tell you , nits used to freak me out until these babies

Elibean Sun 13-Jul-08 07:28:11

How is she today, Tinkjon? dd 4.5 has had similar symptoms on and off since coming out of nappies at 2.5, and its almost impossible to tell what the cause is most of the time.

She's had threadworm, for sure, once - but I've treated her just in case a dozen times when she's been itching/sore around her vulva and/or vagina. She also has eczema, which adds tot he confusion.

I think with many little girls at this age, they don't always wipe correctly and they often touch themselves with less than spotless hands, so plenty of scope for all sorts smile

Hope she's better fast.

Elibean Sun 13-Jul-08 07:28:58

Forgot to say, I did the worm treatment in case thing last Monday, and it hasn't made any difference at all this time hmm

Tinkjon Mon 14-Jul-08 12:07:45

Elibean, she's ok today. I gave her some Piriton (had read about it helping with itching, plus of course it helps them to sleep) and she's been ok for 2 nights. By which time the medicine should be starting to work so hopefully we are ok now. Sorry that your lo is suffering

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now