Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My one year old has got Tonsillitis

(7 Posts)
mamachat Fri 11-Jul-08 22:45:44

Has anyone else dc had tonsillitis at such a young age?

And do you know what causes it?

I feel really upset that dd has got this and I always feel its my fault when sh is ill even if it is just a cold... sad

avenanap Fri 11-Jul-08 22:49:08

poor thing. ds had tonsilitis at 1 aswell, it's caused by the stapholicocci bacteria (sp?), we all have them in our noses and throats, there's nothing that you coud have done. Don't be upset, children pick up bugs, you can't prevent that. It's a natural part of growing up. They need to catch them in order to boost their immune system.

mamachat Fri 11-Jul-08 22:50:45

The doc did say it is caused by bacteria in the mouth..

Do you think this means she could of picked something off the floor and put it in her mouth and that caused the problem??

avenanap Fri 11-Jul-08 22:51:04

streptococcus, not staph. sorry

emma1977 Fri 11-Jul-08 22:52:40

The basis for tonsillitis is the same germs as cause the common cold usually, although some are baterial (usually streptococcus). Children are exposed to the same germs as we are on a daily basis and there's nothing you can do to prevent them catching the occasional unpleasant infection. Not your fault at all!

Just make sure your little one keeps up their fluids (cool drinks/lollies if the throat really hurts), don't worry if they don't want to eat for a few days, and have some paracetamol and/or ibuprofen on hand.

avenanap Fri 11-Jul-08 22:54:20

Blacks medical encyclopedia says it can be an after effect from a cold or another infection/virus. I doubt whether she's picked it up by popping something in her mouth as viruses don't last very long outside their host because they need the warmth and moisture to breed. Everyone has the strep in their nose and mouths, some people's just go over the top. You can't prevent this.

avenanap Fri 11-Jul-08 22:55:17

Emma's a faster typer then me. envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now