Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Is it cheeky to ask somewhere youre on placement to check you out, if its a relevant speciality?

(13 Posts)
mosschops30 Fri 11-Jul-08 19:04:56

Just wondering, I have a medical condition that allegedly should cause me no problems.

However recently Ive been having odd symptoms and would like to see someone.

I am currently working on placement in the area that would deal with this, and I know they see staff straight away with a dr's letter. I have bupa but they wont cover it because its existing, and I doubt my gp would refer me without ruling out a million other things first, plus I imagine the waiting list is long as I had to go in the back door 'as it were' last time which my dr sorted out.

So would you ask one of the surgeons or is it too cheeky?

mosschops30 Fri 11-Jul-08 19:30:49

bump would be really grateful for some advice on this smile

ummadam Fri 11-Jul-08 19:32:20

As a doctor I get really uncomfortable when people I know personally or as colleagues to act as their doctor. Not because I don't want to help (or why would I be posting here when I should be doing 100 other things) but because it can get complicated.

I can cope with small things ("my ear is sore" "what's this rash on my arm" etc) but anything that doesn't need to "rule out a million other things" is full of potential problems and I'm always terrified I'll miss something because I am not following my usual routine. (partly because there are medico-legal issues and partly because I like most of the people who ask me and I don't want them to come to harm!).

I'd speak to your GP, they may want to rule out other things (ie they may actually care enough to want to make sure you are well) but you can always discuss with them referral to the dept you are working in).

Good luck - Hope you get it sorted.

ummadam Fri 11-Jul-08 19:33:15

*ask me* to act as their doctor obviously!

mosschops30 Fri 11-Jul-08 19:41:36

unmadam, thanks for that, good to get a perspective.
I'm not bothered by the symptoms so dont want gp to rule out millions of things. I just want to be 100% sure that they are not related to my current condition,and that is has stayed as it was and doesnt require any intervention, which only this speciality would be able to tell me IYKWIM

hope this makes sense smile

RubyRioja Fri 11-Jul-08 19:41:37

that is such a good answer.

My profession or trade is such that we cannot resist giving an opinion - invited or otherwisegrin

ummadam Fri 11-Jul-08 19:49:15

If that is the case I would say exactly that to your GP - If a patient said that to me I would be happy to refer them to the speciality concerned if that was the case.

If the symptoms were concerning or possibly indicative of something serious going on then I would explain that and recommend further investigation, but I can only give the advice, it is always in the patient's hands whether or not they choose to take it and I would be happy to accept your explanation

mosschops30 Fri 11-Jul-08 19:56:55

the surgeon I have in mind still requires a letter from staff gp's so that they go through the system and its done properly. He then says he'll see them on the ward within a few days rather than the endless wait (about 2 years I think).
So should I ask the gp to do me a referal letter for this surgeon and ask if he would see me quicker, or do you mean get the gp to refer and go on the list?

ummadam Fri 11-Jul-08 20:32:41

Ask the surgeon exactly what he needs as it varies from hospital to hospital. In the area i work your GP would have to refer you through the usual system to make it official and then the surgeon could pull up your notes and see you early.

mosschops30 Sun 13-Jul-08 15:34:28

yes I think I will have to ask him, am feeling worse today so will see what he says tomorrow

emma1977 Sun 13-Jul-08 17:20:41

I would agree with ummadam about this one too. I feel very uncomfortable when 'doorstepped' for advice by well-meaning colleagues, friends and relatives.

By all means ask the surgeon if they would be happy to discuss a matter with you, and how to go about it properly. That way, it is all done legitimately and is correctly documented, etc. Your GP will also be kept in the loop with regard to what is happening with your care (which is really important even if you don't want to see them initially).

mosschops30 Sun 13-Jul-08 18:30:29

yes emma thats absolutely fine, I dont mind speaking to my gp about it, i just dont want to wait for them to dither about whether their gonna refer me (which they did initially for 18 months)

sallystrawberry Mon 14-Jul-08 22:37:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now