Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

how can a wrist suddenly become allergic to a watch its been wearing non-stop for 5 yrs??

(21 Posts)
Amphibimum Fri 11-Jul-08 18:53:43

eh?

foxinsocks Fri 11-Jul-08 18:56:59

oh it's a bugger isn't it...I have this with my ring.

I don't think there's any going back either

edam Fri 11-Jul-08 18:57:02

I dunno. I want to know, how can one of my wrists be allergic and the other one not allergic?

And how come the third finger on my right hand is bigger than the third finger on my left hand? Huh?

HerbertSnodgrass Fri 11-Jul-08 18:59:01

sudden fungal skin infection? try daktacort until it clears up.

moonshine Fri 11-Jul-08 18:59:02

Could it have been coated in something that has now worn off?

I have worn necklaces before and not had a reaction until several weeks later when I then get a really bumpy itchy rash.

My watch is also usually ok but I do get a rash when the weather is very hot (although can't see how that is possible atm!).

DontNeedAnything Fri 11-Jul-08 19:00:39

very easily.

Many allergies aren't present from birth. Exposure to the allergen actually triggers teh allergy. One day you can wear a pair of Latex gloves without a response. Next day they could kill you.

For that reason we are banned from wearing latex at work.

DisplacementActivity Fri 11-Jul-08 19:00:47

Message withdrawn

DisplacementActivity Fri 11-Jul-08 19:01:25

Message withdrawn

edam Fri 11-Jul-08 19:04:32

Oh yes, I get a rash when the weather is hot but am OK otherwise. Very odd.

Amphibimum Fri 11-Jul-08 19:12:39

no, like edam, its one wrist and not the other.

the left (allergic now) wrist had the watch on for 5 yrs, then suddenly got all sore. tried several things, took watch off, put it on other wrist and waited for it to clear up. so yesterday i noticed that it had finally completely cleared and switched the watch back to proper wrist.
but today its all itchy and bumpy so ive just swapped it back again.
it would appear that foxi is right; there is No Way Back.
bloody annoying.

edam Fri 11-Jul-08 23:57:09

It's probably nickel allergy. Which I developed through wearing crap earrings when I was young, poor and foolish. Only affected my ears at the time, but now it seems to get one wrist (and particularly in hot weather - presumably sweat makes it worse).

Amphibimum Sat 12-Jul-08 00:01:42

i have reacted to nickel before. wore a choker necklace to a club once and looked like id been up to sketchy s&m games for ages afterwards... most uncomfortable grin

so nickel sensitivity can travel? mmm, but i have reacted v quickly to nickel every other time ive been in contact. and i dont think this watch has nickel in it. thinks its stainless steel? its v expensive (a present)

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 12-Jul-08 08:30:37

been to a couple of watch places to ask for nickel free watches - the only ones they could offer me were titanium watches and swatch watches. Gone over to a titanium one and it is sooooo nice not to have an itchy scabby wrist.

mustsleep Sat 12-Jul-08 08:41:33

yes this happened to me!!

had watch for ages and ages and and wore it every day for years then suddenly open sores hmm

also got this with wedding ring but think that was just ezcema and it eventually cleared itself up - however still cannot wear the watch sad

how i miss knowing the time

Amphibimum Sat 12-Jul-08 10:21:32

i am just about getting used to the watch being on the other wrist now.

Amphibimum Sat 12-Jul-08 11:22:14

i just spoke to a dealer and they said it is caused by oils from my skin being stuck in the strap... and to bring it in and they will clean it with some machine. will see if that works.

RubberDuck Sat 12-Jul-08 11:27:10

I had this with some suntan lotion soaking into the strap (I developed an allergy to the lotion but realised later that while I'd stopped using it, I was still getting hives under the watch) . Fortunately was just a cheapy watch so I got a new one - have gone for a plasticky strap this time so hopefully not as absorbent.

Amphibimum Sat 12-Jul-08 11:35:23

theres a lot to be said for you basically indestructible swatch, isnt there?

RubberDuck Sat 12-Jul-08 11:56:30

Yeah - I am so careless with watches anyway (always seem to be scraping them against a wall or forgetting to take them off my wrist when I wash up). I now have a casio plasticky thingy which doesn't look too terrible, cost me under 30 quid and is waterproof down to 50m!

Has lasted a year without being destroyed... yet.

emma1977 Sat 12-Jul-08 12:13:06

Delayed sensitisation.

Nickle the most likely culprit. I have trouble with watch buckles and the studs on jeans.........grrr..........itchy, itchy, icthy

Swaliswan Sat 12-Jul-08 20:06:17

Some metals are mixed with nickel and it can take years for nickel to 'come to the surface' of the jewellery. It's not uncommon for people to suddenly become allergic to their wedding ring after years and years of marriage for the same reason. If it's a huge problem, you could always ask to be referred to a dermatologist for patch testing. They would test for substances other than nickel as well. If you are allergic to nickel, you can be given a nickel testing kit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now