Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ds has just had chickenpox and now the school have sent a letter home warning about nits...

(6 Posts)
Raahh Fri 11-Jul-08 18:47:06

As far as i know he hasn't had nits ( haven't spotted any ), but my problem is this-

he has only a couple of weeks back had really bad chicken pox, especially all over his scalp- the spots are crusting over, and flaking off everywhere, but he scratched a few and they are really quite sore. In view of the nits warning am not sure what to do, as i don't want to make his scalp any worse, iyswim. hmm

i am very new to the world of nitsgrinAny adviice appreciated.

DontNeedAnything Fri 11-Jul-08 18:49:26

If he has short hair I would be inclined not too worry about the lice until the chicken pox has fuly healed.

I think it is less likely that he will have picked them up if he has very short hair.

Raahh Fri 11-Jul-08 18:53:16

he has got very short hair, so thank you for that, i feel a bit better.

He announced over tea that teacher hasd told the children to check for flies in their hair! lost my appetite a bit then...grin

DontNeedAnything Fri 11-Jul-08 18:57:55

I would put plenty of conditioner on his hair and have a good visual rummage with teh conditioner in. you will know them when you seem them.

When his scabs have healed go through it with a headlice comb such as the nitty gritty just to double check.

Raahh Fri 11-Jul-08 19:02:21

thank you- dh is out shopping so in a panic i told him to consult with the pharmaciy NOW!!

tbh, i'd be amazed if he'd got through a whole year at reception without getting them (my neice had them almost constantly in reception at same school ). Guess we've been lucky...

DontNeedAnything Fri 11-Jul-08 19:07:54

I woudln't do lotions BTW.

The Nitty Gritty comb is very effective and whilst boys obv still get them from time to time it is less likely cos hair is short and a combing a boy will take minutes compared to the hour it takes to do my long haired DDs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now