Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Family member has glandular fever, keep baby away?

(6 Posts)

Title says it all really. DS is nearly 1 and she's been ill for over a week now. I am presuming best to avoid her like the proverbial plague? grin

I am fairly sure I have had it myself many moons ago, not that I imagine it makes any difference.

avenanap Fri 11-Jul-08 15:42:48

Erm, it's called the 'kissing disease' because it's spread by saliva. I think you are all quite safe. Sorry. Poor thing.

Ooooh is it only by saliva? I usually check these things on NHS direct/ NHS clinical questions website, but have become so in awe of the font of knowledge that is Mumsnet I didn't think to look elsewhere. blush

avenanap Fri 11-Jul-08 15:50:22

www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/glandularfever.htm

Here you go. smile

Thanks, just sussed it on NHS Direct. I am duly shamed. better go buy some grapes grin

avenanap Fri 11-Jul-08 15:53:35

No problem. I hope the poor soul feels better soon. It's a nasty thing to have. I had it a year and a half ago and still have not recovered fully, hence the name. I didn't catch mine from kissing sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now