Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

when do kids develop their sense of smell???

(8 Posts)
blossom2 Thu 03-Feb-05 17:45:08

I know this might sound a little strange.

But i think DD might have a problem with her sense of smell i.e. i'm not sure she can smell anything.
She's asked to smell things now and when i ask her to tell me whether she likes the smell or not, she doesn't really answer.

however she also as a runny nose at the moment - does that mean she has a blocked nose and therefore can't smell anything anyway.

hope you're not too confused ....

Casmie Thu 03-Feb-05 18:11:02

I would have thought quite young - can't babies tell the difference of smell between their mother and other women?

Having a cold drastically affects my senses of smell and taste though, so I would have thought that would be a big part of it.

How old is your dd, blossom?

Gwenick Thu 03-Feb-05 18:25:45

blossom - I know for fact my DS can smell (he always seems to know when I've put bread on when he's been at nursery). But if I ask him if he 'likes' a smell - or what something smells like - he can't answer - just shrugs or says 'don't know' - how old is your DD?

blossom2 Thu 03-Feb-05 18:44:56

DD will be 3 in march - should i be getting worried??? Its only now that she has started to want to smell things.

aloha Thu 03-Feb-05 18:48:03

Babies are born with a good sense of smell - can tell the smell of their mother's breastmilk from that of other women's - from a few days old!
I suspect describing smells in the form of words may well just be too abstract a concept for a small child. I don't think it's worrying.

Gwenick Thu 03-Feb-05 19:39:51

blossom my DS1 is 4yrs old and like someone else said - it's probably more that they don't know the words, or haven't got 'experience' to actually 'know' whether it's a 'nice' smell or not or what it smells of - I think that sort of thing takes a long time. I remember as a teenager 'some' smells (mum's baking, or when she made chutney I 'knew' what they were - but other smells I hadn't really encountered them so couldn't say what they were.

Also I guess a sense of smell is more 'personal' than say sight, taste or hearing. Although we all have different 'perceptions' of what things look like at the end of the day a ball is round. Curry powder 'tastes' hot, and a fire engine sounds like a fire engine. Whereas smell is different - I may love the smell of lilies, but someone else could hate the smell - if you see what I mean.

I guess the only way to 'encourage' them is to let them smell things (Ds is bizareely into this at the moment - wants to smell everything since they learned about 'smells' at nursery last term LOL), tell them whether you think it's a 'nice' or 'nasty' smell and tell them what the smell is.

blossom2 Thu 03-Feb-05 19:46:59

DD is the same at the moment. wants to smell everything, even coffee from the freezer.

You're right, i should encourage it more and just talk to her about smells, and ask whether she likes the smell of something or not.

thank you very much .... i get paranoid very easily.

Gwenick Thu 03-Feb-05 19:52:10

rather than asking her directly is this a nice smell. You could pretend to sniff something (if you can already recognise the smell without sniffing LOL) and say "oh what a lovely smell" (or however you'd describe something that smells nice). Then ask her what she thinks. She'll probably just nod - or copy exactly what you've said - but at least it'd be introducing her to a world of smells.

Don't worry about being paranoid - my eldest is DS1 - who was 4 last September - and things constantly crop up where you think "is this normal"

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: