Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

contents of a nappy- what to do, what to do (don't read this if you don't like reading about pooh)

(6 Posts)
yetihed Fri 11-Jul-08 13:33:20

My 9mo may have a tummy bug, I think. Not sure, and not sure whether I should be worried.

He has gone from one daily pooh, fairly solid, nice colour to 3/4 a day VERY smelly (I mean rank(!) and I am not at all squeamish about these things) and sludgy, ranging in shade from cream to green to yellow to brown. His poor little bottom has also got very sore which has never happened before.

He is cheerful in himself, but seems very attached to me and my breast. Will not drink much water and his usually wet nappies seem quite dry to me.

He is on solids, no formula, but I haven't changed his diet or anything. We have, however, just been on holiday, and he was in the pool every day so may have picked something up.

What to do, what to do???? Please advise...

Thank you!

RubySlippers Fri 11-Jul-08 13:34:40

is he teething

my DS does the most hideous nappies (they smell really acidic) and are loose when he is cutting a tooth

Elibean Fri 11-Jul-08 13:38:51

Probably a bug, but if it carries on - and if the poo is big and bulky as well as rank - worth checking for dairy intolerance/absorption issues.

In the short term, though, I'd vote for bug - dd has had sludgy poos of interesting colours and disgusting smells several times over the last 19 months, and its never lasted more than a few days smile

yetihed Fri 11-Jul-08 14:16:48

Thanks guys- I did wonder about teething, Ruby, he seems to continually be a bit toothy! He is on numbers 5 and 6 and they are taking AGES and seem to be causing him quite a lot of bother.

Some of them are very big, Eli- but if I haven't changed his diet, is it possible for it to be intolerance? Can it suddenly begin like that or would I have noticed something sooner? He's been like it for about 4 days already. sad

greenlawn Fri 11-Jul-08 14:31:17

Agree about teething - mine had quite slimy nappies when they were teething - apparently due to them producing a lot more saliva! It also made their poor little bottoms very sore.

RubySlippers Fri 11-Jul-08 14:59:03

aw - four days of manky nappies

metanium is a really good cream and sorts nappy rash out - it is thick, gunky and yellow (so DON'T drop it on the carpet)

also, and this may be tricky - some nappy off time will help ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now