Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

FIL in hospital with 3rd or 4th heart attack

(4 Posts)
lucyellensmum Fri 11-Jul-08 12:30:27

DP phoned his brother for something unrelated this morning and he has just told him that his father was taken to hospital last night with heart attack. It does slightly annoy me that they don't see fit to tell DP when this has happened. They don't want to worry him, i do appreciate that, but i think he needs to be given the opportunity to make the decision whether or not to visit.

So as it stands we will be going up on Sunday but before obviously if there is any change.

What do they do with someone who keeps having MIs?

cheesesarnie Fri 11-Jul-08 12:32:27

sad.i dont know what they do but wanted to wish you all well.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Fri 11-Jul-08 13:00:35

Sorry to hear that LEM. Hope he's OK. What they'll do depends on why he's had a heart attack but in older people it's usually some blockage in the coronary arteries and they may do a coronary artery bypass graft (CABG). What did they do last time he had one?

lucyellensmum Fri 11-Jul-08 18:25:47

Sagger, thanks for that, im not sure exactly what they did as DPs mum and dad don't understand half of what the doctors tell them . But he has had two stents put in, as i think it is artery related. I am pretty sure he wasn't a good candidate for a bypass before and i can't remember why. Something about it not being bad enough? I'm not sure about that really, he is not in great health and has some neurological problems, and old age diabetes. He is not suffering from any dementia thank God. Shame though, as he is becoming almost house bound for fear of being taken ill (he is quite anxious about his health and i can sympathise with that as i suffer from health anxiety). He takes his own bp every hour and writes it down etc. So it clearly affects him alot. He has terrible headaches that have been attributed to trigeminal neuralgia. He also has chronic arthritis. Poor old sod, i just wish i could give him a bit more pep as he is a lovely man.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now