Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

This is a strange one, but I would like to know if anyone else suffers from this?what can I do to get rid of it?

(19 Posts)
pinkbubble Thu 10-Jul-08 21:26:20

A odd smell up my nose, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it does its horrid, I start to worry its me that actually smells. I shower/bathe regulary, also change my clothes regulary too, so I am pretty sure its not actually me! (I hope!)

Anyone else suffer with this, sorry but I find it really hard to describe the smell.sad

blush

Goober Thu 10-Jul-08 21:28:19

Does it smell like pig-poo?

Washersaurus Thu 10-Jul-08 21:28:51

I have never said this before, but search the archives. I can distinctly remember a thread fairly recently about this problem.

divastrop Thu 10-Jul-08 21:29:20

yes,i had this for a while after having a bad cold.i went to the doctor and she said i had sinusitis and gave me antibiotics,which cleared it up.

GentleOtter Thu 10-Jul-08 21:29:35

Are you pregnant?

pinkbubble Thu 10-Jul-08 21:37:24

NO I am so definately no pregnant! (I hope)

I did google smell up my nose and didn't really get anywhere.

Wouldn't say it smells of pig poo, but saying that I do not really go around smelling pig poo!grin

Shitemum Thu 10-Jul-08 21:39:43

Some fertilisers smell like this - are you in a rural area? The wind can carry odd smells from very far away too.

Have you been to the dentist recently? You could have an infected tooth.

Pavlovthecat Thu 10-Jul-08 21:40:02

Blocked sinus.

I get this, last time I had it, I could smell BO everywhere I went. A funny type that I always associated with me being poorly as a child! It took MN to help me realise it was not 'sickness odour' but my sinus playing tricks on me! I was very clean though as I showered at least twice a day to get rid of it!

divastrop Thu 10-Jul-08 21:41:00

have you had a cold or blocked nose recently?

has a child shoved a peice of fish finger far up there while you were asleep?

Pavlovthecat Thu 10-Jul-08 21:41:00

washeraus - it was me blush I shall see if I can find the link!

pinkbubble Thu 10-Jul-08 21:45:04

No I do not live in a rural area, and no one else have complained about the odd manure smell!

I wonder if it is my sinuses (sp) must admit never thought of that before, I do suffer from them at least once a year, although very rarely suffer from a cold.

Worth a thought!

Washersaurus Thu 10-Jul-08 21:54:52

Glad I didn't imagine it Pavlov; was it the thread where it smelled funny when you bent over?

Pavlovthecat Thu 10-Jul-08 21:56:07

pink the thing with sinus, it does not always hurt, I had been poorly with a stinking cold, but it had passed a good few days/week before, and my head did not hurt that I recalled when I posted. But I think I had antibiotics for a previous infection as that was mentioned as a possible cause for smelling?

It definitely sounds like sinus to me, apparantly they can make you smell all weird and wonderful things!

I cant find the thread sorry. Try a face steam. remember to protect your face with lotion to stop capillaries breaking, the make it as hot as you can manage, do this every few hours and see if it helps.

thehairybabysmum Thu 10-Jul-08 21:58:12

Ive had it too...and posted ont eh other thread. Went to docs who gave me a steroid nasal spray (as you get for hayfever) and was told to take decongestant tablets.

Its defo helped...still get it sometimes but not as often or as strong.

Mine was worse if i bent forwards...i spent days checking nappies as was convinced one or other of my DSs had done a poo!!

Pavlov..is yours sorted...if so how??

doc did ask if id shoved anything up my nose!!!

devonblue Thu 10-Jul-08 22:01:40

I'm sure it's nothing, but do get it checked out as it could be a neurological thing as a very outside possibility.

pinkbubble Thu 10-Jul-08 22:01:59

I am so glad its not just me!

When I have the smell, there is never any pain, I am so worried what people must think of me as I feel that I go around sniffing everything!blush

Pavlovthecat Thu 10-Jul-08 22:02:04

thehairybabysmum - about 3 courses of antibiotics shock! I did a face steam which immediately helped, and it cleared up to an extent on its own, but it was the start of a long line of sinus issues, which took a long time to shift, and led to me vomiting constantly as the stuff from sinus dripped down the back of my throat! It was nowhere near the front of my nose so I was unable to clear it at all. It was just stuffed full of gunk.

Now. It is ok, but I do still get the odd whiff of smell. I am not entirely convinced it is gone for good. But it does not hurt to keep me on my toes - i generally head for the shower still, just in case!

Pavlovthecat Thu 10-Jul-08 22:04:00

pink the good thing about a face steam is it loosens things deeper down, so even though you don't feel in pain, it will loosen mucous if it is deep in your sinus. If it is, you might feel a bit clearer with your smelling, if not, you will get a nice complexion at least grin

pinkbubble Thu 10-Jul-08 22:07:06

Thanks Pav, I will try that tomorrow and again in a few days. Lets hope it will be the end of it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now