Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ds2 got his Hearing Aid today!

(26 Posts)
KerryMum Thu 10-Jul-08 21:02:42

But he's not quite sure what to make of it yet I think. He had it in for about 3 hours (roughly what the audiographer said to start out with).

He's 5 and trying to ask him if he can hear better is tricky. He thinks he should hear better but can he? The audiographer said to keep a rough diary over the next 2 weeks to see how he does and if I notice any changes. He goes for a retest in 2 weeks.

She wasn't very hopeful for much of an improvement. He's profoundly deaf in the one ear and normal in the other.

Shitemum Thu 10-Jul-08 21:13:09

Hi,
I have hearing aids as do 2 of my siblings, we have variable loss in the high frequencies.

If DS2 is profoundly deaf in one ear I'm not sure if the HA is going to make any difference.

You could look out for him responding faster to you if you speak to him from the other side of the room or from behind him. Or misunderstanding you less.

You could ask him if he can hear birds singing. Or electronic games and high beeping noises.

If the HA is having any effect at all you may find he is actually more confused about where sounds are coming from. This is because the HA feeds them right into the ear so they seem to originate in your ear iyswim.

If his other ear is fine he'll favour it anyway by walking on that side of people so he can hear them better and things like that.

All this is just based on my own experience as a HA user.

PussinJimmyChoos Thu 10-Jul-08 21:18:21

Hi Kerrymum - it will take time for him to get used to the new sounds and to train his ear as to what they are iyswim so its too early to say if it will make a difference just yet. Its hard because you do want a kind of hearing aid going in and wow I can hear the doorbell kind of reaction but its not like that. If anything, when I had new hearing aids it made me grumpy and tearful and I had to be bribed to keep them in when I was small so I think your DS is doing marvellous to have tried it for even three hours! smile

Cat me if you want to talk off line or I can give you my mobile no via cat if you want to text chat if stressed about it all

Mwah!

Puss

PussinJimmyChoos Thu 10-Jul-08 21:21:56

Oh and I'll tell you something really interesting (well, interesting to me anyroad! lol!) since I've had DS, although my hearing hasn't improved, I've learnt to tune in much more and USE what I've got more effectively - its amazing - a capacity I never thought I had so there is hope there for him making the most of it all iyswim?

Although I do go selectively deaf (deafer???!!) when DH asks for help with the washing up...

grin

lulumama Thu 10-Jul-08 21:23:22

hope it helps him smile

lulumama Thu 10-Jul-08 21:25:26

seen you won;t be able to come to our house sad will have to try and sort something

Shitemum Thu 10-Jul-08 21:25:37

Choos - maybe that's why i'm always grumpy - I think it puts a big extra load on the brain trying to deal with the info or lack of info relating to what I am hearing, or not.

BreeVanderCampLGJ Thu 10-Jul-08 21:25:51

I still think you should be pushing the CI option. If only to prove you are aware and you are not going to be railroaded.

PussinJimmyChoos Thu 10-Jul-08 21:28:11

Oooh Shitemum - we have an excuse then! grin I find I'm knackered at the end of day because I'm reading the PC screen in work, mobile for text messaging, tv for subtitles and then lipreading DH/DS etc....technically I should not be on mnet but 'resting' my eyes...but...grin

KerryMum Thu 10-Jul-08 21:30:58

bree they only do that here in Ireland for kids with deafness in both ears.

thanks puss! smile No cat but my email is babs1827 at yahoo dot com.

smile at lulu. we'll be pretty much on our lonesome as most of the others are taking flights out on the Friday. I think there's only one other family going out on the Saturday.

it's a digital one. She programmed it to his last audiogram. I wonder why she didn't retest him today with it on?

KerryMum Thu 10-Jul-08 21:31:45

thanks Smum! Great suggestions.

So far I've only managed "Can you hear better?" hmm on my own. [pathetic]

PussinJimmyChoos Thu 10-Jul-08 21:37:44

I don't think I was tested with it once programmed....in any case, I'm sooo old fashioned I ended up reverting back to analogue one as just couldn't get on with the digital...

If you have any doubts about what you think they should/shouldn't be doing - push them and push for answers because ime, the expertise of the audiologists can vary enormously and you do get some right twunts (apologies to any good audiologists out there btw!). My mum spent the first 10 years of my life thinking that my hearing problem was due to nerve damage in my ears. She pushed and pushed for an appt at Gt Ormond St and was then told I was misdiagnosed and it was actually cochlear damage and an op was available should I wish it etc.

Don't end up like me though....I am a tad...ahem...firey with the whole ENT thing...I ended up having a go at one of the audiologist who told me off for adjusting the inner sound controls on my hearing aid 'this is NHS property you really shouldn't be messing with this' ...I saw red and said I've been seeing THAT done since I was 3 - I probably know more than you do about it.... hmm grin

KerryMum Thu 10-Jul-08 21:42:18

lol!

I really like audiographer. ENT is right ass. Can't stand him and he's no help at all about anything.

How do they determine if it is cochlear damage?

PussinJimmyChoos Thu 10-Jul-08 21:50:50

Bearing in mind this was ages ago as I was about 11 when I went and am now 31 ahem 21 wink they did the hearing tests etc but then she made me close my eyes and walk in a straight line across the room - I couldn't do it, I nearly went arse over tip. Then she made me stand still with my eyes closed and gently pushed me on each shoulder and I nearly went flying - apparently the balance thing is a big clue. However, that's not to say that any child with a balance problem has cochlear damage (protecting self from lawsuits here!! ha ha grin) but it is associated with Cochlear damage. Mind you, she was a big wig type professional so there may have been other things she saw that gave her the diagnosis but all I remembered was the balance iyswim?

KerryMum Thu 10-Jul-08 21:58:08

very interesting.

ds2 is always falling over.

Usually when running and the like so haven't taken much notice.

I think a trip up to the Children's Hospital in Belfast (other side of country) may be in order. Pediatric ENT VERY VERY good there. ds2 saw him with all his glue ear business from 1-2ish.

lulumama Thu 10-Jul-08 21:59:00

hope it all goes well anyway. smile

KerryMum Thu 10-Jul-08 22:00:24

let me know if you can swing a visit down to us lulu! would be great to see you.

PussinJimmyChoos Thu 10-Jul-08 22:04:05

you could try the line thing yourself and see how that goes? I always joke that if I ever got stopped by the police for drinking (unlikely as am teetotal) but I'd have my arse hauled as would fail the line test! wink Actually, in these paranoid days they'd probably pull me over for wearing headscarf...hmm grin

I think a trip to the Paediatric unit a very good idea and if nothing else, at least you can say right, I've exhausted all avenues iyswim? Please bear in mind though that my test was a good 20years ago so it may have all changed since then in terms of diagnostics and be up there with use of leeches or similar! grin

lulumama Thu 10-Jul-08 22:05:40

i shall, i will FB you my mobile number, you can text me with your itineraray x

smartiejake Thu 10-Jul-08 22:27:31

The possible advantage of a HA in a deaf ear when the other hears normally is with the location of sound (hearing in stereo), hopefully this will be the outcome.

However some kids just find that one profoundly deaf ear with a HA just interferes with the perception of sound in a normal hearing ear. Hence the audiologists "suck it and see" approach.

Really hope the HA helps KM

KerryMum Thu 10-Jul-08 22:40:52

that is my worry smartie. That it will mess up his good ear. She said it wouldn't. but I asked specifically about "feedback" and white noise and the like.

PussinJimmyChoos Thu 10-Jul-08 22:43:20

Kerry - what do you mean about white noise? That he won't be able to distinguish it or?

KerryMum Thu 10-Jul-08 22:44:18

that he might hear static type sounds in his good ear?

PussinJimmyChoos Thu 10-Jul-08 22:52:54

I can't say I've ever had that and I only wear hearing aid in one ear so try not to worry about that too much as I can't imo, see it being an issue. Same with the feedback. The only feedback you get with hearing aids is of the physical kind i.e when you pull the mould out a little and it goes whhheeeeee!!! DS cracks up when I do it (we call it Mummy's magic ear!!)

I'm going to bed now but I have e-mailed you so you have my addy for anything you need

Hugs to your brave DS and keep me posted with how he's getting on.

Much love

Puss

Shitemum Thu 10-Jul-08 22:53:00

He might hear some squeaking/feedback if the aid isn't properly in the ear but he wont hear static actually in his good ear, like tinitus do you mean?
He may not hear the squeaking at all if aid is not in ear properly but others will...this is one of the things i hate about HAs, sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now