Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Slimfast - is it worth it to shift some weight before my holiday in 8 weeks?

(13 Posts)
nameychange Thu 10-Jul-08 19:40:15

anyone done it?

does it work?

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 10-Jul-08 19:45:36

How much weight do you want to shift? If you've got 8 weeks, and you diet sensibly, you could lose between half a stone and a stone in that time - sensible weight loss is around 1-2 lbs per week.

Sorry - have never tried Slimfast. Like real food too much!

Monkeytrousers Thu 10-Jul-08 19:48:36

Just give up processed carbs = white bread and pasta - chips - crisps and sweets - all sugar in fact. You will lose tons of weight and probably save money.

Monkeytrousers Thu 10-Jul-08 19:49:22

with slimfast you will be miserabe, have cravings and be constanly starving!

Tinker Thu 10-Jul-08 19:49:46

You will lose weight (mostly water) but you'll put it and more back on when you stop. Dieting makes you fat

Idobelieveinfairies Thu 10-Jul-08 19:52:42

It is expensive....what about the kellogs 2 bowl a day diet??

My friend is doing it with special K...last 2 weeks before a big wedding (not hers)..she lost 4lb in the first week...waiting to see this weeks. She does a lot of walking though so thats helped her out.

Good luck!

nameychange Thu 10-Jul-08 20:00:44

in total i want to lose 2 stone but by hols half would be great more would be fab.

i'm useless at dieting, just want to magically loose the weight without the effort!

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 10-Jul-08 20:23:32

No such thing!

Even Slimfast involves effort because you have to not eat 'properly' for two meals and then eat something 'sensible' for dinner.

IMO the Kellogg's diet is even worse - cereal for most of the day gets very boring, very quickly. I tried it and by day two my blood sugar was all over the place and I had the shakes. It was awful.

By eating sensibly and doing some exercise you could shift a good proportion of that 2 stones.

girlnextdoor Thu 10-Jul-08 20:30:41

I agree that the Special K diet is rubbish- it is SUCH a marketing ploy!! Basically, you could get those xxx number calories (don't know how many in a bowl of the cereal) from something much healthier- such as lean meat, fish, eggs and a salad or fruit- instead of refined corn in the cereal.

Eat sensibly and lose 2lbs a week.

Cut out sugar, white processed flour, fizzy drink, alcohol, fatty and fried foods and live off lean protein, veg and fruit, and some carbs such as wholewheat cereals and bread,- and take some exercise- such as a half hour walk or jog every day.

Slim fast etc is rubbish- it's not healthy and doesn't re-educate your way of eating longer term.

zippitippitoes Thu 10-Jul-08 20:38:42

i have used slimfast once when i was 19 and once when i was 36 it does work but it is not as good long term as sensible eating

if you exercise too that will help increase your metabolism

slimfast is easy in that it gives you a clearcut rule but food is better

kiltycoldbum Thu 10-Jul-08 20:42:04

slimming world diet is brill you dont really realise youre dieting.

if you want hard core go for it for the holiday David Kirsch Ultimate New York Diet, hard the first 2 days then you suprisingly get in the swing of it, stick with it and you should lose 14Lbs in 2 weeks. It is hardwork and you really have to stick with it. Make sure you eat! Lots of greens, no fruit for 2 weeks, tuna, chicken/turkey, prawns, egg whites, lean protein low carb.

Other than that i really like Carol Vodermans Summer detox, but then i like porridge and hummus! Its nice food!

Idobelieveinfairies Thu 10-Jul-08 21:00:06

I could never get bored of special K!..when i have had one bowl i could easily easily eat another!

I find it really hard to eat sensibly...i am sooo fussy and hate vegetables and salads...i do eat fruit though.

ohhh dieting

Mojomummy Mon 14-Jul-08 00:13:29

My friend lost 4lb on it & has kept it off. It also made her realise how much she was eating - too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now