Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any natural ways to make my dds a bit more resistant to nits?,

(12 Posts)
Slouchy Thu 10-Jul-08 18:49:05

They are 5 and 3, and currently watching 64 Zoo Lane, smeared in Lyeclear again. I know the little bleeders are a fact of life at this age, and I do a weekly comb-through/condition but wonder if there is any other, reasonably natural and non-invasive way to make my girls' heads a bit less irresistible?

TIA

LoveMyGirls Thu 10-Jul-08 18:51:26

Marmite, tea tree shampoo, leave in spray, nit repellent

hth
{getting off this thread before i start scratching me head!!!!!}

LoveMyGirls Thu 10-Jul-08 18:51:35

too late!

BettySpaghetti Thu 10-Jul-08 18:53:30

Apparently a few drops of lavender oil through their hair will deter them as the lice don't like the strong smell (not sure where I've heard that though)

<<Betty makes mental note to self not to sit next to Slouchy at the meet-up if shes scratching her head a lot>> wink

Slouchy Thu 10-Jul-08 18:55:30

Lolbetty - I did myself last night! Will come and shake mt locks in your vicinity if I think there are any of them still in residence though!

BettySpaghetti Thu 10-Jul-08 18:58:16

Have you got a nitty gritty comb?

southeastastra Thu 10-Jul-08 18:59:08

someone on here recommended spraying very diluted vinegar onto the head after each hair wash

ChippyMinton Thu 10-Jul-08 19:02:46

spray diluted teatree oil. I mix some up in a plant spray bottle.

SoupDragon Thu 10-Jul-08 19:03:48

Shave all their hair off. Works a treat.

slayerette Thu 10-Jul-08 19:17:14

I use Neem and Propolis shampoo by Faith in Nature - you can get it from places like Holland and Barrett (altho I don't know whether they stock it, iyswim). It's a natural ingredients shampoo that claims to deter nits and suchlike. I have no idea whether it works but ds who's 5 has not had them this year; he gets shampooed with that regularly plus a good comb through with the nitty gritty comb.

<slayerette runs round the house and touches all the wood she can see>

Slouchy Thu 10-Jul-08 19:21:01

Yeah thanks, soupy, but I don't want them to look like this

Slouchy Thu 10-Jul-08 19:22:26

Ah, slayerette, a sensible answer.

OK, few drops of teatree oil in their conditioner it is , until I can get to Holland and B.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now