Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is bad eyesight hereditory?

(7 Posts)
NorkyButNice Thu 10-Jul-08 16:34:09

DH and I are both quite impaired in the vision department and am wondering whether this means that DS is more than likely going to be the same.

Anyone a genetics expert?

imaginewittynamehere Thu 10-Jul-08 16:41:06

Yes

I have a squint & bad eyesight, so do my Dad, Uncles, Cousins etc. DD (22 months) is under observation by the Ophthalmology Dept at the hospital - checkups every 6 months. Luckily no sign of a squint but they are still worried that her eyes may deteriorate early (as mine did)

You should speak to your optician if you are concerned. I did & she refered dd to the hospital. I like the fact that they are loooing at her regularly - the earlier something is picked up the less likely it will deteriorate (as if it is corrected there is not so much strain on the eyes)

TeacherSaysSo Thu 10-Jul-08 16:48:41

Reading makes it worse, so the old wives tale about straining our eyes if reading in the dark, is true!

Califrau Thu 10-Jul-08 16:53:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

filthymindedvixen Thu 10-Jul-08 16:54:15

Erm, in my family it appaears to skip generations. My great aunt was the last person with short-sightedness and astigmatism. both my parents and their parents had 20/20 grr.
DH and I both very short-sighted but so far, both dsses (aged 10 and 7) have 20/20 too. Surely they'd be showing signs by now if they were going to have duff eyesd?

NorkyButNice Thu 10-Jul-08 17:36:04

Interesting...DH and I both had glasses from really young so we'll just have to keep an eye on him I guess.

IdrisTheDragon Thu 10-Jul-08 17:40:42

My mum has a fairly bad astigmatism, my dad has moderate short-sightedness, I am very short sighted. My sister is slightly short sighted (needed glasses around 12 I think). As DH is also astigmatic I am pretty sure that DS and DD will need glasses at some stage, although hopefully won't be as short sighted as me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now