Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Malignant Malenoma - Give me hope please!!!

(22 Posts)
NotSoNewAnymore Thu 10-Jul-08 14:42:21

Hi there,

Last week Sunday, I noticed a brand new, raised mole on the back of my right leg. It was about 5mm in diameter and quite raised (Like a black wart, sorry if TMI).

I went straight to my GP who refered me to a Dermatologist, who I saw on Tuesday this week.

He took one look at it and said he was 'fairly certain it was a Malignant Melanoma'. He removed it straight away and sent it off for testing. I go back next week Tuesday for the results of how deep the Malenoma goes and what treatment will follow.

I am terrified at the moment and keep thinking of the worst case scenario...but am trying to remind myself that there was a maximum of 9 days between the mole appearing and it being removed....hopefully quick enough to stop any of it spreading.

Does anyone have any positive stories to share? Anything to keep me hopeful?

cyteen Thu 10-Jul-08 14:44:51

How frightening for you. But I do know at least 2 people who have had a malignant melanoma, and both were successfully treated and remain cancer-free many years down the line I might be wrong, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that if caught early this is one of the most treatable cancers.

Good luck anyway, and stay positive

QueenMeabhOfConnaught Thu 10-Jul-08 14:45:59

No stories to share but wishing you lots of luck. At least you were on to it quickly which is always a good thing.

fledtoscotland Thu 10-Jul-08 14:50:35

my mum has have several malignant melanomas removed over the last 25yrs (has had extensive skin grafting for the worst ones on her back) and she is very much alive and kicking to tell the tale.

am sure it will all be OK next week

NotSoNewAnymore Thu 10-Jul-08 14:54:54

Thanks All, I really need to know it will be OK!

I am driving myself crazy and have made the massive sin of googling it (I never learn!!). I am now worried that the fact it was raised is bad news...meaning it was quite deep.

I wish I could switch off until my results on Tuesday....

pipsy76 Thu 10-Jul-08 15:02:43

My aunt had one removed from the back of her leg and has had no futher problems, I wish you well and no more googling please!

NotSoNewAnymore Thu 10-Jul-08 16:02:35

Thanks Pipsy, I will try to stay off Google. I keep thinking I will find some information that makes me feel better and instead it scares me again!

cordeliaanne Sat 12-Jul-08 00:08:04

My husband had malignant melanoma diagnosed in 2000 - similar to you, fastr tracked from GP tp consultant to removal within two weeks - he had the mole removed and had annual checks for 5 years, experiencing no proglems now.

cordeliaanne Sat 12-Jul-08 00:08:56

oops - wine methinks

My husband had malignant melanoma diagnosed in 2000 - similar to you, fast tracked from GP to consultant to removal within two weeks - he had the mole removed and had annual checks for 5 years, experiencing no problems now.

wigparty Sat 12-Jul-08 00:11:55

God NotSoNew, that must be truly terrifying.

If it's any reassurance, my half sister had this (it was malignant) and because it was caught early she was absolutely fine. She'll have to have ongoing 6-month checks, but that's a small price to pay...

Try not to worry. The fact you've identified it early is hugely positive smile

NotSoNewAnymore Sun 13-Jul-08 15:57:36

Thansk everyone, I am still terrified. I can't wiat to know the answer on Tuesday but at the same time am completely PETRIFIED by what we could find out.

Thanks again, keep the good stories coming - I need them :-)

NotSoNewAnymore Sun 13-Jul-08 15:58:12

Please excuse the terrible spelling! That was typed too quickly!

themoon66 Sun 13-Jul-08 16:01:55

My sister had this about 16 years ago. It was on top of her left boob. they cut out the mole, sent it for testing and it came back as malignant melanoma. She then went back a few days later and the cut out around where the mole had been (imagine an area the size and shape of a quarter of a satuma).

She is fine.

NotSoNewAnymore Mon 14-Jul-08 10:33:56

Thanks themoon66 - was your sister's mole raised?

poshtottie Mon 14-Jul-08 11:18:35

I have waited up to 6 weeks for results and I have a history of melanoma [hmmm]

NotSoNewAnymore Mon 14-Jul-08 11:44:46

poshtottie ...I don't know how you stayed sane during a 6 week wait for results.

One week is driving me absolutely CRAZY. I analyse every symptom and worry over every vague ache or pain.

I hope all is OK now and you had good news at the end of your wait.

themoon66 Mon 14-Jul-08 13:17:46

NotSoNew... yes, my sister's mole was raised.

NotSoNewAnymore Mon 14-Jul-08 14:24:12

Thanks themoon66, it is great that she is fine,

NotSoNewAnymore Mon 14-Jul-08 15:14:03

Hello all - just wanted to thank you for your great support and uplifting stories in this thread.

The doctor just called to say that it was NOT MALIGNANT! I am so thrilled, so relieved.

This has been a wake-up call though....no more suntanning. EVER.

QueenMeabhOfConnaught Mon 14-Jul-08 15:14:42

Fabulous news!!!!!

zookeeper Thu 17-Jul-08 16:26:46

Hi - I've just logged on to see your results as you've been on the back of my mind. I'm really happy for you!

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Sun 20-Jul-08 10:58:53

I'm late- but great news, wonderful (and to let you know that your post gave me the kick up the arse I needed to get a mole checked on my face that I've been 'keeping an eye on' for a while). GP's tomorrow.

I'm so pleased for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now