Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Need help recruiting blood donors at work.....

(14 Posts)
yorkshirepudding Thu 10-Jul-08 13:30:33

Message withdrawn

yorkshirepudding Thu 10-Jul-08 13:31:26

Message withdrawn

DrNortherner Thu 10-Jul-08 13:32:45

<claps hand for YP and feels proud cause I recruited her!!!!!>

Well done with your mission. I will have a think.

wem Thu 10-Jul-08 13:33:19

Sorry, not much help with the email, but if you want something more long term - if you ring the NBS they can put you on a database and send you posters to put up around work with dates of donation sessions at local venues.

I like the thought of it being a different kind of donation

EthelTheUnready Thu 10-Jul-08 13:33:36

1. you get half an hour or so away from work
2. you have a lie down
3. you have a biscuit (or 2)
4. and a cup of tea

smile

DrNortherner Thu 10-Jul-08 13:37:39

I would say something along the lines of :

Many people consider it a right to receive blood when needed, but don't often consider the responsibility of giving blood to maintain the community supply for others. Do something amazing - give blood!!!

MummyDoIt Thu 10-Jul-08 13:37:40

I saw an on-line ad for blood donors which said 'don't leave it to someone else'. I thought that was a very good line. A lot of people just assume it will always be there if it's needed. If everyone thought that, there wouldn't be any! Or you could do it tongue in cheek and offer your colleagues a break from work, lie-down, tea and biscuits included and all for a small voluntary donation. Well done for organising it, though. I've been a donor for several years and DH was on the receiving end of a transfusion last month (for anaemia caused by chemotherapy) which really brought home to me how valuable a service it is.

yorkshirepudding Thu 10-Jul-08 13:40:10

Message withdrawn

redpanda Thu 10-Jul-08 13:40:35

The reminder letters that I get at work from the NBS are currently stating "stocks of blood are currently much lower than required”. Could you use that as an angle? It would answer the "why give" question.

Or something along the lines of "want to do a good deed?"
Or "your blood is required!!"

Furball Thu 10-Jul-08 13:40:35

what about something like - you just never know when you or someone you know might need it

yorkshirepudding Thu 10-Jul-08 13:41:05

Message withdrawn

EthelTheUnready Thu 10-Jul-08 13:43:00

Perhaps ask MNetters who have received blood (or their dhs or dc) what it meant to them and use those stories to emphasise how important it is.

I have been giving blood for almost 20 years now (with breaks for children obv) and am amazed at the number of people who say they just can't be bothered to give blood as if it's someone else's obligation. Imagine if they needed blood and there was a shortage.

yorkshirepudding Thu 10-Jul-08 13:46:43

Message withdrawn

notcitrus Fri 11-Jul-08 14:46:16

A lot of people think they aren't allowed to give blood (and a lot of them are right - anyone pierced, been to a malarial area, been to other exotic places, had gay sex or a partner who has, on various meds - all banned for various lengths of time).

Could be useful to say that the restrictions aren't as restrictive as you might think (eg being on the pill is usually fine) and may only ban you for a year so please look at the website and see if you are eligible after all?

I once worked somewhere where the head manager was known to give good appraisals to anyone who gave blood. His heart was in the right place but it did lead to people being made to defend why they weren't (and my boss really didn't want to tell the manager about his sex life...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now