Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

URGENT please advise, DS been throwing up for 20 hrs

(12 Posts)
halia Wed 09-Jul-08 21:10:37

hi all,
DS has been vomiting since 2am this morning. he hasn't managed to keep anything down not even water and he is pushing away drinks.

He is also running a temp and unsuprisingly absolutly exhausted (only managed very fitful naps)

rang NHS direct at 6pm, he'd been looking a bit better but threw up again and they said ring your GP. by the time they rang back etc it was 7.30pm and he was seeming brighter so i tried a bath and ice lolly, to see if I coudl get him to sleep. All came back up on way to bed so I rang ym out of hours service who have just rang back.

bloody useless --- didn't you want to take him to the GP - no because the GP normally says up to 12 hrs is normal so I wasn't worried until the throw ups continued at 5pm. (he was napping 3-5pm)

Well you have to bring him to our centre, he's 3, its raining, I dont' drive and he's very ill

well we're open all night take your time

just so bloody useless. I just want to know if he is in danger of dehydration or not I've spent so much wasted time in surgeries only to be sent home again with nothing done I dont' want to drag DS out on a night like this.

please advise, is it worth the trip? he has had wet nappies - about 2 as opposed to his usual 6, no dirty nappies and we're up to about 10-12 bouts of vomiting.

Can't get calpol to stay down either so temp still high - havn't taken it as thermometer is broken but very hot to touch and complaining of being hot.

lenny101 Wed 09-Jul-08 21:38:03

How is he? Are his lips dry?

lenny101 Wed 09-Jul-08 21:41:19

You had to wait a long time for a reply - are you still there?

lenny101 Wed 09-Jul-08 22:00:26

You must have gone. "Bring him down" is so useless when you're worried sick and they're so poorly. Hope all ok, will check in tomorrow. x

lenny101 Thu 10-Jul-08 08:28:01

Morning halia, how is he this morning?

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Thu 10-Jul-08 08:32:29

get him seen, but also try giving him water with sugar in it. Tiny sips every half hour to begin with then increasing amounts. If children throw up for a long time their sugars go very low which in itself can cause more vomiting. DS1 always needs the sugar technique to stop throwing up.

WeeBesom Thu 10-Jul-08 08:33:40

Hope the wee one is ok, it's so worrying when they are ill.

halia Thu 10-Jul-08 09:26:33

thanks for replies, he feel asleep at around 9.30pm and I hadn't the heart to wake him up plus I was feeling sick with exhaustion myself.

he threw up twice in the night but seems loads brighter this morning and did have one wee during the night as well.

He's sitting eating toast right now and his temp seems to have dropped. I'm going to see if he keeps this lot down *fingers crossed*

I think it must eb a cold thats gone ot his stomach (he has a delicate tummy) cos I'm completly bunged up and achy.

lenny101 Thu 10-Jul-08 18:03:43

Great news halia. I think you're instinct to mention his nappies a couple of time is spot on - a real sign they're dehydrated if nappies are bone dry. Hope you're both feeling better this evening yourself.
x
My ds1 gets sick with every virus that just makes the rest of us a bit snotty too. Such a worry aren't they.

WeeBesom Thu 10-Jul-08 21:10:52

Glad its nothiing too serious. Hope he is lots better now xx

halia Thu 10-Jul-08 22:14:28

thanks all, he's stll a bit under the weather but has eaten and had fluids and had several wet nappies now so I think we're OK.

One thing thats weird though, he yelled after an hour of being in bed this evening and when I went in he was really hot and saying 'hurts mummy'

I got him to show me where and it was his anus (literally, not his cheeks or anything). It wasn't at all red and I asked him if he needed a poo and did it hurt he sort of nodded but i dont' know if he understood me. Could he have constipation cos of the dehydration?

elmoandella Thu 10-Jul-08 22:37:56

or he's got a dose of the runs still waiting to pass through. usually accomanies sickness. not always at the same time. mines normally throw up first. once they stop that they have runny poo for several days.

as oldest can communicate he says he has sore belly/bum then explodes within the next hour.

or it could be dehydration. either way, give him some water. he will still be requiring it and it will help if it is constipation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now