Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Talk to me about the Mirena(sp) Coil for horrendous flooding - any good?

(36 Posts)
mummy2aaron Wed 09-Jul-08 16:53:09

I have heard some horror stories so am loathe to have one before asking on here.

Kewcumber Wed 09-Jul-08 16:54:47

I loved mine - relaly didn't have many problmes and periods virtually disappeared. Certainly worth a try before more extreme measures.

Rubyrubyruby Wed 09-Jul-08 16:55:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mummy2aaron Wed 09-Jul-08 17:00:21

Thanks yes it certainly sounds good i had a friend who bled for weeks and had bad acne whilst it settled, is this common?

CarGirl Wed 09-Jul-08 17:02:24

very good for reducing/stopping bleeding

Rubyrubyruby Wed 09-Jul-08 17:06:37

mummy2aaron Wed 09-Jul-08 17:10:34

sounds good then i just cant cope with weeks of bleeding iyswim i am so heavy with af and cant really think of anything more drastic atm with small children

Rubyrubyruby Wed 09-Jul-08 17:11:36

squeaver Wed 09-Jul-08 17:12:49

No bleeding in 18 months for me and I was having dreadful, really heavy periods before. I love it.

Lapsedrunner Wed 09-Jul-08 17:13:09

I love mine, had it for 2.5 years. Had it fitted for same reason as you but also had a D&C at the same time. Continued to have light periods for 18 months and now none at all.

Bomper Wed 09-Jul-08 17:13:59

is it horrible to have fitted? Practice Nurse suggested one for me as I have horrendously heavy periods, but she added, @I won't lie, it's not nice having it put in' - gulp!!

brightwell Wed 09-Jul-08 17:14:09

I'm the same as Rubyrubyruby, very occaisionally get very light bleeding that might last a day.

mummy2aaron Wed 09-Jul-08 17:14:31

I could cope with a D&C too if it meant it would work.

Rubyrubyruby Wed 09-Jul-08 17:16:49

Psychomum5 Wed 09-Jul-08 17:17:46

it is very much worth getting for the periods aspect, but be aware that you may not feel 'settled' with it for about 6mths.

I had mine for endometriosis reasons, and the lack of heavy bleeding and pain is fab, but the first 6mths I hated as I felt all out of sorts and very hormonal.

now, am very pleased and would have another, altho my periods have started playing up againhmm, but I have two girls in the midst of puberty and another almost there, so am wondering if that is the reason.....

Bomper Wed 09-Jul-08 17:17:55

So, you reckon I should butch it out and go for it?

mummy2aaron Wed 09-Jul-08 18:00:22

I think i will g for it then - much better than drastic surgery and i am not totally sure i have finished procreating.

DuffyMoon Wed 09-Jul-08 18:16:22

I am the worlds biggest coward.....I did not like the insertion one little bit...HOWEVER a minutes pain versus 5 years of heavy painful periods - no contest....and once the bugger is in there, I've never had any trouble (touch wood)....it is my second one too - so a bit like giving birth, cant have been that bad first time hmm

bramblebooks Wed 09-Jul-08 18:28:34

mine for 3 years. No probs! had it inserted under a general with d&c as practice nurse couldn't get it in! It's a life saver, as probably would have had to have hysterectomy without it.

DettaJnr Wed 09-Jul-08 18:43:09

I am having mine removed in two weeks. Have only had it in for 6 weeks and have had 3 periods in that time. Inbetween I have had spotting. I'd rather have a heavy period and that be it rather than constant drip, drip, drip inbetween. I also have terrible bloating, PMS, headaches, tiredness (ie falling asleep every afternoon) like in early pregnancy, urinary frequency...

Having said that, several friends recommended it so I am glad that I gave it a try.

mummy2aaron Wed 09-Jul-08 18:54:12

oh no that doesnt sound good

tinkeroo Wed 09-Jul-08 18:57:40

Everyone responds differently. If you've had vaginal deliveries usually fits quite easily. Mine was great, hardly felt the fitting, then hardly any periods. Only prob was skin slightly spottier. Only had it removed to have another baby, got pregnant within 4m. You'll only know if you try & it is the best non surgical treatment.

herbietea Wed 09-Jul-08 18:59:33

Message withdrawn

mummy2aaron Wed 09-Jul-08 19:00:30

yes i suppose the only way i know how my body will react is to try it we are all different. worth a go if they do take them when they dont work.

mummy2aaron Wed 09-Jul-08 19:01:27

does the ablation stop you having more children?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now