Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Found out I have an STD and its of the permanent sort-genital herpes

(11 Posts)
UpandDown Wed 09-Jul-08 13:12:26

Was seeing a guy for a few months,an occasion when we slept together we didn't use protection....I started getting blisters and had it cofirmed that the blisters were as a result of genital herpes.

Spoke to the guy who was mortified but we decided that as we were both in it so to speak we would give a relationship a shot.

Anyway he's been an ass we talked at the weekend and things were good but hes doing his usual again so I've decided he's gone for good. Sad as we really did get on but still he was only half hearted.

This herpes thing is a permanent one....meaning that I will from now on need to use protection even in long term realtionships so as to avoid giving it to my partner and obviously anyone new I've got to have that talk before hand and let them know...(mortifying)!! (been asked out thurs night and really like the guy)

I'm gutted about having this and just wondered if anyone else has it or been with someone who has it and what impact its had??

and any tips or advice etc...

anything will be much appreciated in the way of peoples expereinces of this....

Shaynesmum Wed 09-Jul-08 18:53:14

Hello your not alone and u can have a normal sex life with it. I have had it 4b year and it woz explained to me that u can only pass it on if u have unprotected sex during a flare up.As you know the pain is obvious and u wouldn't even want to have intercourse with it protected or not i woz also told to try to avoid getting stressed as it could cause a flare up. I take multi vit's every day

downbutnotout Wed 09-Jul-08 18:56:22

shaynesmum is right - you can only pass it on when it is active and you might never have another episode, some people don't! If you are planning on getting pg make sure it is in your mind as precautions will need to be taken if it flares up at the time of childbirth.

Shaynesmum Wed 09-Jul-08 19:00:01

And at the first 'tingle' i use Zovirax cream 4cold sores or take the proscribed tablets called Aciclovir. I see it as u wouldn snog some1 with a cold sore coz u can catch it but when its cleared up u can snog... same 4this just down below when u feel it start then dont have sex and if u want2 then use protection and when ur clear have sex as much as u like but learning from experience i'd alway

Shaynesmum Wed 09-Jul-08 19:03:48

Always always use protection. Better 2b safe than sorry. Dont wana get anything else to add to the list! I have only had 2 episodes in a year and that woz just a tingle and it cleared. Dont let this run your life.

mrsmalumbas Wed 09-Jul-08 19:04:08

l-lysine I believe also helps with flare ups - you can buy from holland and barratt

KerryMum Wed 09-Jul-08 19:04:13

actually there is something called asymptomatic shedding. You get that with cold sores as well. At such time the virus can be shedding (i.e. contagious) but no lesions. This is one of the reasons xdh always had his own towels, container for his toothbrush, etc. (he gets cold sores).

You can also get genital herpes from someone with a cold sore (active or not) who goes down on you. This has happened to 2 friends.

Always inform any prospective partners beforehand.

genital herpes is a lot more common than most people realize.

It is very dangerous if you have an outbreak while giving birth. A c-section is called for under these circumstances as neo-natal herpes has a high rate of complications and even death.

Shaynesmum Wed 09-Jul-08 19:17:37

Kerrymum, i have neva been told about this. Clinic's should tell us this sort of info. Thanks. So are u saying we wouldn't know when were shedding and to always use contraception just in case?

Shaynesmum Wed 09-Jul-08 19:17:53

Kerrymum, i have neva been told about this. Clinic's should tell us this sort of info. Thanks. So are u saying we wouldn't know when were shedding and to always use contraception just in case?

KerryMum Wed 09-Jul-08 19:20:34

look under asymptomatic shedding

NicNic1936 Mon 08-Sep-08 16:07:18

I've been put on a year's daily tablet of zovirax which i can take throughout pregnancy and childbirth. I haven't had an attack in months and am feeling confident about being able to have a vaginal birth as a result. Ask your Doc - its Zovirax 400

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now