Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mefenamic acid

(19 Posts)
Bomper Wed 09-Jul-08 10:22:38

I have been prescribed this for heavy periods. I was told to start taking it as soon as my period starts and continue for the first three days. Does anyone else take this? Does it lighten the flow? Have you had any side effects? TIA

LIZS Wed 09-Jul-08 10:24:47

Is that Ponstan Forte ? Took it many years ago and it didn't make much difference to flow , but did to cramps, spasms and pain. Make sure you eat as I got lightheaded if taking it on an empty stomach.

Bomper Wed 09-Jul-08 10:27:54

Yes, apparently there is a brand name Ponstan. I have just scared myself a bit really, as I looked it up on Wiki and read all the possible side-effects!!! Silly really, if you did that every time you would never take anything!!

mistypeaks Wed 09-Jul-08 10:41:36

I was prescribed it for heavy painful periods. Sad to say it did bugger all for me. But I second third and fourth the advice to never take on an empty stomach - that did affect me!!
I had previously heard very good things about it from a few people who suffered heavy periods.

iheartdusty Wed 09-Jul-08 10:44:25

side effect for me - constant painful diarrhea
it was worse than the periods TBH

Bomper Wed 09-Jul-08 10:51:00

OMG - I had just taken one when I posted this message, not sure whether I want to take any more!!

mistypeaks Wed 09-Jul-08 10:57:15

Give it a try.

mistypeaks Wed 09-Jul-08 10:57:49

sorry that was a bit abrupt!! I do know a lot of people have found it useful.

chopchopbusybusy Wed 09-Jul-08 11:02:16

I took it a few years ago and I had severe vomitting and diahorrea. No idea if it affected my period as I stopped taking it after 2 days.

Mirena coil has sorted out my period problems, but then are about a million threads on here about side effects of that. Give it a go it might work for you.

SubRosa Wed 09-Jul-08 14:47:43

Bomper, presumably your doc has checked you for the cause of the bleeding? I'm paranoid about this sort of thing, as I had very heavy bleeding for 3 yrs and the doc never checked possible causes. (According to the gynaecologist I see, it's nearly always caused by fibroids or hormonal imbalance).

Bomper Wed 09-Jul-08 17:16:51

Sorry for not getting back sooner - yep, had a blood test and scan, both came back Ok. Have always had heavy periods, and remember as a teenager being told that once I had kids it would get better - ha!! Well, I have had three and still no change!!

lazymumofteenagesons Wed 09-Jul-08 17:18:15

I was prescribed this for painful periods and it works a treat. I take one three times a day with food for the first 2 days and it is the only painkiller which works. For me the side effect of lightening the flow was a pleasant surprise.

muscateer4 Mon 21-Jul-08 00:19:33

I was prescribed mefenamic acid about 6 weeks ago, to reduce menstrual flow, as I keep becoming anaemic, and getting my iron levels back up is difficult. My periods had been very heavy since C-section number 3, just over 3.5 years ago. So far, (2 cyles), has worked a treat in reducing flow - no comparison to what I endured before. No effect on pain, as didn't suffer anymore anyway (reckon all those nerve endings were severed during the last C-section!).

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 21-Jul-08 07:33:42

Bomper

When did you have your blood test and scan done?. BTW blood tests are not much use in such cases as they do not detect the cause of the heavy bleeding. Ultrasound scans as well will not detect any endometriosis deposits if they are there.

You should be evaluated properly by a gynae to see if either endometriosis or fibroids are causes. GPs are not always up to speed with dealing with such problems.

zazen Mon 21-Jul-08 10:38:50

I take this also - and HAVE to eat as it kills my stomach.

It reduces flow and lessens the cramps for me.
I have some endometrial tissue within the layers of muscle in my womb thanks to the cack handed regristrar who cut me up from pillar to post during the crash emergency cesarean I had with DD.
Periods were painful and heavy before DD but after they were debilitating.

I wonder has the c-section you had on your 3rd dc introduced endo tissue within your womb muscles muscateer3?

IllegallyBrunette Mon 21-Jul-08 10:41:19

I have taken it for painful periods and unfortunatly it made absolutly no difference to the pain at all.

I agree that you do need to eat either beforehand else it does make you very woozy.

NotBigNotClever Mon 21-Jul-08 11:03:49

I was prescribed it years ago for heavy periods but it didn't seem to make an awful lot of difference - I didn't notice any side effects though. I was then prescribed Cyklokapron which did work really well - also no side effects that I noticed.

theexmrsfederer Mon 21-Jul-08 11:23:15

I started to take this for heavy periods and it appeared to work well in reducing flow/pain BUT I developed a sensitivity to it and came out in an itchy rash.

One night this rash/hives kept me awake all night. I spoke to my GP who diagnosed a possible allergy to Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (the group of drugs that also includes Ibuprofen and aspirin).

I was warned not to take any again as the allergy could escalate to cause breathing difficulties!!! Scary stuff.

Don't worry though, as this is rare and if you are not having any problems now then you will be OK.

I also took it alongside tranexamic acid which will not affect pain but is effective at reducing flow. I was OK with that.

cherrylips Mon 21-Jul-08 20:37:59

I have taken them, for heavy periods post 2nd baby. They really worked for me. Yes take on full stomach. They really cut down the flow of blood. I think it did cause some cramp pain, but this was OK as I dont have period pain anymore!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now