Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Spots with white heads??

(8 Posts)
Litchick Wed 09-Jul-08 09:48:16

Over the last few days DD has developed red spots with raised white heads. They are on her back and thighs.
She's already had chicken pox.
Any suggestions?
Doc thought possibly another viral infection of molloscum. Any thoughts?

Sugarmagnolia Wed 09-Jul-08 12:16:07

could be molluscum - we've been through this with both DCs. The white bit in molluscum isn't creamy like in a normal 'spot' it's kind of a hard, waxy 'core' (ie if you tried to squeeze it nothing would happen except your DD might scream cause it's sore). The good news is that if it is molluscum they don't cause other symptoms or make them ill, the bad news is it can take anywhere from a few months to 2 years for them to go. DS had several on his tummy and 3 or 4 on his arm. They appeared some time last autumn and the last two are just going now!

littlepinkpixie Wed 09-Jul-08 12:30:05

Hand foot and mouth? I think it is going about at the moment - does she have any spots on her hands, inside mouth or on feet?

Seona1973 Wed 09-Jul-08 12:35:12

molluscum tend to start small and grow bigger and tend to be skin coloured and look a bit like a wart. They dont tend to develop a white head until they are bigger and more mature. Doesnt sound like molluscum to me (dd has them at the moment!)

Litchick Wed 09-Jul-08 12:49:44

Thanks for those suggestions.
No spots on hands, feet or in mouth - just back and thighs.
Spots literally appear with white heads.
Just what I need for the summer holidays.
wink

chel86 Wed 09-Jul-08 13:56:58

Did she only have a mild case of chickenpox last time? My ds has had chickenpox 3 times!! He's also got 2 molluscum (had 4 but 2 have gone) and your dd spots dont sound like them, because they do start as flesh coloured and pearly.

Litchick Wed 09-Jul-08 16:59:14

She had an horrendous bout when she was a toddler...but looking at these spots it does look like a v mild case of cp iykwim.

Sugarmagnolia Thu 10-Jul-08 12:49:17

Chicken pox don't usually have white heads though - they usually look more like blisters with clearish fluid inside. And I think molluscum cna have the white bit right from the start. Does she have a fever or any other signs of being unwell?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now