Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD's Arms feel like sandpaper. Any ideas?

(15 Posts)
mrsmaddyd Wed 09-Jul-08 08:53:13

She has always had this but is especially bad at the moment. its tiny little spots under the skin that feels really rough too touch. Ive been putting on aqeous cream but to no avail. Sometimes its on her thighs too?

Any one know what it is? Ive been advised to cut down on the dairy which i have but its getting worse not better!

Elibean Wed 09-Jul-08 10:55:45

My dds have mild eczema, and the first sign of it is sandpapery skin....not sure about the spots under the skin part, but it certainly feels rough?

piratecat Wed 09-Jul-08 10:56:47

a good emollient for washing? a good moisturiser too?

fryalot Wed 09-Jul-08 10:58:28

it sounds like dd1's eczema.

Aqueous cream, emollients, oil, any sort of moisturising stuff sorted her out when it got bad. She grew out of it though.

LavenderMist Wed 09-Jul-08 11:02:08

Sounds like keratosis pilaris. I have this (it is very common) and it is a nuisance but nothing more. I exfoliate regularly and use lots of moisturiser. There are creams to help, I think with retinol, but they may be too harsh for young skin.

Article here

Picture here

Hope this helps.

iloverosycheeks Wed 09-Jul-08 11:07:12

DS has this - I stopped bathing him every night and rub (the now very hard to get hold of) waitrose bottom butter on it - it has improved greatly.

bubblagirl Wed 09-Jul-08 11:07:26

i have this i use a really good product from virgin store its honey scrub and just rub it on and leaves skin nice and silky smoothe it does come back though

ScarletA Wed 09-Jul-08 11:13:00

My dd has this too - she calls it her 'cat tongue skin'. She also has eczema on backs of legs and inside elbows - we have recently started using aqueous cream and it wonderful, her skin feels much softer and the eczema although not gone entirely is a lot better. hth.

mrsmaddyd Wed 09-Jul-08 15:54:45

Thank you all. I have some baby bottom butter so will try that and may be a mild exfoliant.

mrsmaddyd Wed 09-Jul-08 15:55:35

Sorry lavendermist thanks for the photo that is def what she has. ta x

RegenerAitch Wed 09-Jul-08 15:57:07

i think those upper arm spots can indicate a vit deficiency. b, maybe? anyway, i find my own is better with some fish oils and a multivit and exfoliation.

Goober Wed 09-Jul-08 15:58:57

Baby oil.

muppetgirl Wed 09-Jul-08 15:59:47

HI
My ds has had a sandpaper type rash on his torso for about 5 weeks. He had also been very tired, teary and developed a runny tummy. The dr found that his glands were up all over his body and he has had a blood test for Glandular fever. The first Dr we saw diagnosed dermatitus after not even looking at him properly. We were given emollient and doublebass both did absolutely nothing to help. Does your DD have any other symptoms?

cocolepew Wed 09-Jul-08 16:01:44

My DD had this (to op) it cleared up when she started taking fish oils.

pagwatch Wed 09-Jul-08 17:19:03

EFA's or fish oils.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now