Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Contraception: implants and injections - what are the downsides?

(20 Posts)
MuffinMclay Tue 08-Jul-08 20:38:06

I need to change my contraception. I've been taking the pill for 3 months (micronor) but keep forgetting to take it.

Are there disadvantages to implants or injections, particularly in terms of weight (trying to lose it atm) and mood?

RubyRioja Tue 08-Jul-08 20:39:45

Everyone I know who has it, put on at least a stone - and some were skinny minnies to start with - naturally

Cannot remove it if it upsets you

MuffinMclay Tue 08-Jul-08 20:43:21

Oh that is a definite no-no then.angry

greenelizabeth Tue 08-Jul-08 20:44:39

My friend had it and bloated out overnight. She became really, properly fat. It must play havoc with your appetite.

RubyRioja Tue 08-Jul-08 20:44:43

merena coil?

MuffinMclay Tue 08-Jul-08 20:51:51

I really don't fancy the coil. Also have odd shaped womb and heavy periods, so I think that rules it out.

Heated Tue 08-Jul-08 20:53:48

I looked at the injections (Depo?) and the majority of users gain weight.

louladoula Tue 08-Jul-08 20:54:47

coil can really help with heavy periods

i have a mirena, have had it almost 3 years, don;t have periods, no PMT and no weight gain. < i was fat anyway!> my GP is a family planning expert and we went through all the options and she said the coil was the best one to go for. it is as effective as female sterilisation but reversible.

expatinscotland Tue 08-Jul-08 20:55:03

if you have any history of depression, especially ante-natal or post-natal depression, Depo injections and/or implant may NOT be for you.

jojosmaman Tue 08-Jul-08 20:57:20

I had depo before ds, didn't gain weight but I would only consider it again for long term contraception (ie when I don't intend to have anymore kids)

TeaDr1nker Tue 08-Jul-08 21:01:28

With the depo, once it is in, thats it BUT with the implant you cn have it removed. For heavy periods the Mirena is recommended. Like any contraceptive it affects people diferntly. The Depo does cause a lot of breakthrough bleeding but usually settles down within the first three months.

As for side effects, weight gain is listed as a side effect of the depo, not necessarily the implant. Of the two i would reccomend an implant.

MuffinMclay Tue 08-Jul-08 21:01:48

Some history of depression. 15+ years ago, but wouldn't want to risk that happening again.

I guess the best thing would be to find some way of making sure I remember to take the pill or change to one with a longer window of opportunity for taking it.

RubyRioja Tue 08-Jul-08 21:03:07

Can you set alarm on your phone? Used to be helpful for me

expatinscotland Tue 08-Jul-08 21:04:06

you may also be able to take the contraceptive patch - that way you don't have to remember every day.

TeaDr1nker Tue 08-Jul-08 21:05:10

do you take a combined oral contraceptive or progesterone only? Combined give you a 12 hour window whereas progesterone only gives you 3.

what about the contraceptive patch - you put it on every 7 days for three weeks then follow with 7 patch free days. Just something else to think about.

thingamajig Tue 08-Jul-08 21:11:17

aCTUALLY, mIRENA IS GOOD FOR TREATING HEAVY PERIODS. iTS NO WORSE HAVING A COIL PUT IN THAN HAVING A SMEAR TEST.

MuffinMclay Tue 08-Jul-08 21:15:40

It is a 3 hour window, so must be the progesterone only one.

I aim to take it at 8am, and store it next to my toothbrush, but if ds1 hits ds2 or the dog, or causes some other chaos at just the wrong time, I totally forget only to remember several hours later.

Phone idea is a good one. Will see if that can be done on my phone. Or just a conventional alarm clock, I guess (if I can remember to set it).

Does the patch have downsides?

expatinscotland Tue 08-Jul-08 21:17:27

well, the patch works as a combined hormone contraceptive, so if you have a reason why you cannot take a combined hormone contraceptive - smoker, history of stroke/DVT/heart disease, hypertension or the like - then you won't be able to use it.

megandtyler Wed 09-Jul-08 23:01:23

had the implant fitted a week ago and have lost three pounds!

emma1977 Thu 10-Jul-08 22:45:22

The injection commonly has the side effects of causing weight gain and sometimes acne and low mood. A small but significant proportion of women suffer from a delay in their fertility returning once they stop it.

The implant is a much lower daily dose of hormone and therefore much less likely to cause the side effects mentioned above. It is also easily removed if you have problems and hormone levels return to normal within 2 days.

If you are a bit rubbish at remembering to take your pill, then you can either swap to a mini-pill with a 12 hour window (cerazette) or try another method. The patch (evra) is only suitable if you are able to take the combined contraceptive pill, as it contains the same hormones. Don't forget that there is also the option of hormonal and non-hormonal coils.

Talk to your GP or FPC if you are unsure or want more info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now