Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.
anyone who is unsure about MMR I urge you......(124 Posts)
to contact www.jabs.co.uk. I spent over an hour talking to the most informative, helpful, balanced Woman who listened to my DDs history and just gave me the most incredible insight into the world of immunisations.
DD has already had a reaction to a vaccine so obviously I have more of a worry, but she was still extremely impartial and what she said just screamed common sense. When all I get from my so-called healthcare professionals is "you must do it there is really no risk".
For example she asked me to think about the ways in which we "catch" these viruses, normally through the throat which then filters through to the stomach and rest of the body. The immune system hence processes these bacteria in a the natural way. Comparing this to a shot of the virus (with other chemicals) directly through the bloodstream and into the internal organs. This can be just one factor to cause a reaction in a child.
Now I am just using this as an example of one of many things we discussed, I am not trying to persuede anyone that this is Gospel, but I have come to the right decision for me and DD talking it through with an intelligent, informative person which is SO mush more that I got from my GP after DD had a bad reaction.
Anyway I just urge you to call them if you are unsure or worried, they are fantastic.
Crush I just went to that website address and I don't think it's right...
He actually had it this morning, so I'm keeping an eye out for everything for the next few weeks. I had a bit of a wobble but went ahead with it.
Crush - what was your decision before and after you spoke to them?
Ours was due today too but I've just been advised by the nurse to delay a week as he's just getting over a chest infection and antibiotics.
Sorry flowery, I've name changed again, it's puppydogtails!
you might want to give it a couple of weeks after all symptoms have gone. My Ds had catastrophic reaction and i think it was his having chicken pox the month or so before.
( better still - ask jabs actually )
I agree giddy you might want to give it a bit longer
itati I was thinking of the single measles and the single rubella at 12 before calling. After calling I would say I will stick to that decision re. Rubella but the Measels I am leaning more towards allowing nature to take it's course.
I didn't realise both DH and myself being measles "survivors" plays a part in DD defense. There are hereditary factors.
I didn't realise that babies are usually immune for 12m from a Mother who has had M, and that after this age they experience a dip in immunity (not a great time to give them a great big shot of it)
I didn't consider that a child who is fighting fit may not be able to handle a jab but may deal with measles better.
Like i said DD has already had an adverse reaction to the Men. jabs.
I was unaware of so much. She also mentioned that the single M jab is very effective with children testing still immune 10yrs later unlike with the MMR. So I think I will hold off the single until I am 100% convinced and have had time to do more reading and in the meantime if she contracts M I am more informed as not to panic.
We had DS1 and DD single jabbed as DS1 reacted badly, ioo, to his baby jabs. He also had cellulitis after his pre-school booster (not the MMR part.)
I would prefer DS2 not to have the jabs for no other reason than I have a bad feeling about it but DH says all the children have to be treated the same so he will be starting on the single MMR soon.
DH and I never do anything until we both are in agreement.
And I can't think of many areas where the children all get treated exactly the same either.
If they are all supposed to be the same why isn't DS2 getting singles as well? Just curious
I remember talking about my worries about mmr with the practice nurse, 13 years ago now, and she said " Oh you've just been reading lots of scaremongering stuff" and then when I was still not showing signs of being convinced said really forcefully " Have you ever seen a child in an iron lung ?" - thus resorting to her own version of scaremongering ! I actually doubt very much that she had ever seen a child in an iron lung either !
I was made to feel very reckless with my child's health by questioning the safety of mmr, but I come from the generation where measles was just one of the childhood infections that everyone got and found it hard to understand how it had now apparently morphed into a highly dangerous disease. Yes it's not pleasant but why is it suddenly so terrible now they have a vaccine ?
I think you should trust your instincts and not be rushed or feel bullied into having the vaccines.
CrushWithEyeliner measles is very nasty. My two girls and I had it last year and were all very ill. If I knew how bad it was I would deffinatley have protected my children against it.
And of course thinking about it there is a decision to be had either way. If DH had said yes and i had said no then not having the jabs would have been taking my decision IYSWIM.
I guess I am just lucky that both DH and I had decided absoloutely no jabs for DD before she was even born. No discussion and no arguements.
It is funny though that whenever we have had cause to discuss DD being unvaccinated the Health professionals always refer questions to me as if it is my decision. They always seem suprised when DH pipes up
The Informed Parent is a similarly good resource.
I do go with DH when he makes a different decision to me when his argument is better. Mine is normally based on emotion and gut feeling which isn't always the best. I am as happy as I can be with the decision. I have always felt that DS2 is more vunerable but then you could turn that around to how he would cope if he did get measles, mumps or rubella.
Whilst I was in hospital this week I met a lady who had worked for a company who manufacture drugs. She said no way would she allow any of her children have it were her kids that age group now. She said the reports are damning.
I'd decided against ds2 having the 2nd one for various reasons and glad I did now.
I didn't name the company as it could cause trouble for mn (perhaps?)
juniper, i in what way were the reports damming? Did she mean you should give them the vaccine but later on or are the vaccines not ideal for such a young age group?
Oh my arguments are always better in this house. Although sometimes I do let him think that it was his argument in the first place.
mY take on the 'real' illness thing was that DD was vulnerable. Did I want to take a chance that she may not get the illness or if she did may not get it too badly or get it and get it late enough for her to be able to cope.
Or did I want to guarentee the challenge to her system by giving it all to her in one go.
She is nearly six. She hasn't had any of them and her immune system is getting close to maturity so so far so good.
But then her risk was massive as DS's damage was massive so that made it easier again.
It was the age group. She couldn't go into detail as she worked at the hospital (where I was a patient) and time was of the essence, but she was quite adamant.
9 Children die a year with Measles,and obviously this number is out-of-date now with so many parents abstaining from MMR or not completing 2 doses of Measles single/ Rubella singles.
Luckily due to vaccinations we generally see a "mild" dose of measles if we see it,but that doesnt mean some children arent seriously or fatally ill with it.
The single vaccines are not "licenced" to be given.
I wouldn't give any of my children "unlicenced drugs".
Each parents worries should be taken seriously,and all the information available must be presented to them.
The decision is a hard and worrying one.
but IMO if you don't trust the Health proffessionals,then you should "throw" out all the advice,why listen to some and not the rest???
If a drug has been tested and in this case tested a million times due to the "inaccurate" report linking it with Autism and Bowel problems,and all the results come back the same,if you "mistrust" this advice and indeed those handing it out,Why do you consider the other jabs safe?
ummm...Because the health professionals are giving advice to the population. They are not giving advice to my child. And Health Professionals are advisors. they are meant to advise and support us in our health care choices. We are supposed to take some responsibilty for ourselves and not follow everthing they say like automatons.
And why do you assume that all health professionals tell all parents to have all the jabs. My GP was perfectly happy that DD did not have this.
FWIW my DD has not actually had any of the jabs. Some people don't consider them all safe.
And every jab has side effects and every jab has adverse reactions.
For some children that is more of a threat than others.
What reports FFS???
They'd be all over the media by now.
The vaccination would have been withdrawn!!!
Juniperdewdrop,if your DC had the 1st one,at 13-15 mths,"This" is the one that was reported to cause problems,also if there was no reaction then,there wouldn't be now.
If all MMR's were given at Preschool age then none of this would have been linked.
The signs of Autism are usually only noticed or confirmed as they start to learn walking and talking skills around 12mths - 16mths,these skills then "regress" with Autism.
Hence the opinion "They were ok,until they had their Jab".
Join the discussion
Please login first.