Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

15mth ds has been diagnosed with heart murmer, and they also think one lung is larger than normal. Could do with some reassurance please

(18 Posts)
runnyhabbit Mon 07-Jul-08 21:07:08

Ds2 was admitted to hospital in March (when he was 11mths) with pneumonia and had to have a chest drain.

Had a follow up appt today, and x-ray shows chest is completely clear. But after the examination, the consultant thought he could detect a murmer. He got a second opinion, and they both decided that ds2 has got a murmer, and there is also a possibility that one lung is bigger than normal.

The consultants were reassuring enough (eg, told me it was more common than people think, if there was real cause for concern, they'd treat him asap etc) But now I'm home, and me and dh are wondering what it really means.

runnyhabbit Mon 07-Jul-08 21:30:04

bump

umberella Mon 07-Jul-08 21:31:40

Sorry to hear this runnyhabit. No real advice for you but just bumping. Hope someone helpful pitches up soon smile

LostMe Mon 07-Jul-08 21:32:00

I have to be honest, I know very little about this, but my gran, my mum, my aunt and my sister all have heart murmers and it has had very little (if any) impact on their lives. My sister has to take an antibiotic when going to the dentist but has no other side effects. Can the British Heart Foundation help? I'm sure it's all fine x x

runnyhabbit Mon 07-Jul-08 21:35:20

Thankssmile

The calm, logical, practical side of me isn't too worried, trusts the drs.

However, the irrational side of me is going into overdrive, and wants to start looking things up on the net (past experience has told me this is not always a good idea)

runnyhabbit Mon 07-Jul-08 21:35:27

Thankssmile

The calm, logical, practical side of me isn't too worried, trusts the drs.

However, the irrational side of me is going into overdrive, and wants to start looking things up on the net (past experience has told me this is not always a good idea)

LostMe Mon 07-Jul-08 21:44:56

Incidentally - my sister is 36 with two children - hope that helps!!!! She used to play hockey at school and has no medical probs....so it has never stopped her!

runnyhabbit Mon 07-Jul-08 21:50:27

Dh is concnerened too, but commented that if ds2 hadn't been in hospital, then we probably would never have known. He's a proper rough and tumble little boy, must have hollow legs for the amount he eats, and will generally try anything once.

bosslady Mon 07-Jul-08 21:51:49

I have a heart murmer I did not know until I was 16 i completely freaked out and thought the worst,but it was all fine I have a narrowing of the pulmonary artery and was told to go away and forget about it I had to take an antibiotic at the dentist up until this year now the guidelines have changed and I no longer need to. Trust the doctors I am 27 and have two children and I am fine. Hope that reassures you a bit.

runnyhabbit Mon 07-Jul-08 21:54:54

Thank you Bossladysmile, and yes, it does reassure me.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Mon 07-Jul-08 22:03:23

Hi runnyhabbit. My dd has a significant heart problem so I know a bit anout hearts.

A heart murmur is basically an abnormal heart sound aside from the normal 'lub-dub' noise. You can have a murmur because there is a structural defect (like a hole or a narrowing like bosslady) equally you can have a 'normal' heart but still have a murmur. Some children have murmurs that come and go when they are or have been poorly. It's quite possible that your ds is like this.

Can't really help on the lung thing - do they think it's maybe caused by the pneumonia or vice versa?

Is he going for further tests?

ManhattanMama Mon 07-Jul-08 22:16:48

I have/had one - was detected when I was 15 and had a chest infection. I had a check up at the time (ECG etc) and they said it was nothing to worry about and loads of people have them.

It didn't stop me doing anything as a kid - I used to do county level swimming (I wasn't fantastic, but certainly never got out of breath or had any heart related issues).

I mentioned it to my doc when found out I was pregnant in case I'd need extra monitoring but he couldn't find any trace of it when he checked! So it seems to have resolved itself in the intervening 10 years - unless your DC show any problems then don't worry about it!

NorthernLurker Mon 07-Jul-08 22:22:37

Hi Runny - saw your post on the other thread and lept over here asap. My dd2 has a heart murmur. This was first detected when she was 6 weeks old and it totally threw me! She was and is perfectly well - check out the pictures on my profile - she's the blonde with the wavy hair. Neither the fact that she was perfectly well or that every doctor we saw was hugely reassuring did anything really to relieve my anxiety. 7 years later I'm fine with it but I totally identify with what you are saying about now you are home where does that leave you. So - step away from the net - you always get the worst scenario up and it will scare you sideways. (Been there, done that) Follow up as needed with your doctor and ask them to explain things to both of you so you are both clear. If you like you can ask them to send you a copy of any correspondance to your GP - then you will know you know the full story. And finally - keep on enjoying your wonderful son! My fear - of losing dd2 - played a big part in her first year for me - and beyond. It was totally irrational though I think very understandable. Don't do the same - W is fine. He did great when he was ill and he will do great from now on.

mammyjo Tue 08-Jul-08 12:33:21

Hi Runny. I am simply going to back up what others have said on here, and that is that heart murmurs can be totally innocent. It is highly likely that W's has been triggered by his illness (and he was poorly for a while as I remember), and it will spontaneously resolve.
My friends dd has a murmur which was picked up by the GP. She gets mild symptoms now and then, but mainly caused by vigorous exercise when her lips can take on a very slight purple tinge. It is not a problem for her and always resolves very quickly.

I am not so sure about the lung, and can only think that the enlargement could be due to aggravation and inflammation from his illness. As the doctors have said, they would treat if there was any cause for concern, so I would try not to stress too much. I totally understand that will be hard to do though! Take care xx

chrysantheMum Tue 08-Jul-08 12:36:10

hi there - not an expert but my sister has downs syndrome and a heart murmer. It has NEVER been a problem, all she has had to do is have six monthly checkups, which then went to yearly which went to two yearly. think it might be even less then that now she is an adult.

i really feel for you, it must be awful having to hear that sort of news, but, as other posters have said, it really does not necessarily mean that it will be an issue.smile

orangina Tue 08-Jul-08 12:40:45

Hi Runny,

GP heard heart murmur in DS (now 17 months) when I took him in for possible ear infection. He was referred on to paediatric cardiologist, who listened to him, heard the murmur very clearly, and then ultra sounded him to have a look at his heart. Diagnosed with "innocent murmur" in the end, consultant seemed to be absolutely certain of it, and we have been told that he will not be affected by it at all, it might go away, or it might not.

When my GP first heard the murmur, she said that of all the murmurs she referred on to consultants, NONE of them came back as anything other than an innocent murmur, so there is a very good chance (statistically) that your ds is the same, and that his murmur has been brought on by his recent illness (my ds has had a series of ear infections...).

Don't read the internet, unless you google "innocent murmur", and see if you can get a consult follow up with ultra sound, to hopefully put your mind at rest....

Good luck and take care...

orangina Tue 08-Jul-08 12:54:35

read this

runnyhabbit Thu 10-Jul-08 18:14:10

Thanks everyonesmile, and that website was very useful.

He has been referred, so we're just going to put it out of our minds until we get the appointment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now