Talk

Advanced search

small soft lump on ds back, please tell me not to panic!

(38 Posts)
kaylasmum Mon 07-Jul-08 20:53:07

I just noticed while my 18 month old ds was playing with only his nappy on that he has a small soft raised lump on his back, about half way down to the left of his spine. You can only really see it if he bends over not so much when he is standing up straight. I am a terrible worrier and now feel absolutely sick with fear, i suffer quite badly with anxiety and quite frequently worry about my kids or my own health to an extreme. Please if anyone has noticed this on there child let me know. I'm going to phone for a GP appointment first thing in the morning but it would really help if someone else had any experience of this.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Tracey.

youknownothingofthecrunch Mon 07-Jul-08 20:55:57

It could be anything! Don't panic. It could easily be a cyst or something similar. You're doing the right thing going to a doctor. Hope it all goes well. Is he otherwise well? x

kaylasmum Mon 07-Jul-08 20:59:46

Hi, yeah he's absolutely fine healthwise. It does'nt feel hard and it does move about when touched. I worry so much.

youknownothingofthecrunch Mon 07-Jul-08 21:00:23

If it's soft it is more likely to be fluid filled, so a cyst/abscess.

spudmasher Mon 07-Jul-08 21:00:52

I had a similar experience with dd2 - her lump was on her head and oh my how I panicked. Ran up to the surgery, DD1 covered in paint, demanded to see the DR immediately. They could see I was not messing so saw me straight away. The lump was just a sebaceous cyst and disappeared after a few weeks.Point I am amking is that we all get gripped by that awful fear at some time and it is all consuming. No one here tonight will be able to ease that fear as only a DR can do that, so hang on in there till tomorrow.

youknownothingofthecrunch Mon 07-Jul-08 21:01:50

That's all good news. Your doctor will be able to help much more than me smile

You're allowed to worry, it's what being a mum is all about grin

kaylasmum Mon 07-Jul-08 21:02:03

I would have thought that if it was anyhting like that then the skin would be red and sore but there is nothinhg like that.

spudmasher Mon 07-Jul-08 21:02:39

No nothing red or sore on dd2s head either.

youknownothingofthecrunch Mon 07-Jul-08 21:06:37

No need for it to be sore or red. They can be quite deep. It's nothing like a spot or a boil.

kaylasmum Mon 07-Jul-08 21:07:10

spudmasher, where on your dd's head was the lump and was it just like a vey soft swelling? did the gp just tell you to wait and see if it changed or anything?

LittleMyDancing Mon 07-Jul-08 21:08:20

no, DP gets cysts and they are just normal skin colour, not red at all, and soft to the touch.

try not to worry smile

spudmasher Mon 07-Jul-08 21:12:32

Yes it was soft and it could be described as a swelling and she was in no pain and showed no awareness of it being there. Yes they just said if it had not gone away in a month or so to go back so they must have been very sure that is what it was. I, of course thought it was something more sinister and continued to worry....
If you are gripped by the anxiety, can I suggest you see your out of hours DR tonight?
No need for A and E but if you are anything like me then you will be able to think of nothing else all night until you have seen someone and that is no good for anyone.It is as much for you as for your ds.
It may be a hassle and take an hour or two but at least then you can get on with sleeping and stuff.

crescent Mon 07-Jul-08 21:12:55

Years ago (I'm a grandma) my son had a small lump on his back, not at all red or sore. Turned out to be some sort of ingrowing hair follicle. Do sympathise with how you feel, I was an excessive worrier type mum and am now exactly the same as a grandmother hmm

spudmasher Mon 07-Jul-08 21:13:22

Forgot to say it was at the side towards the top so really noticeable to me.

Helsbels4 Mon 07-Jul-08 21:19:27

A couple of years ago, I noticed my ds had a lump on his neck. I was beside myself with worry. Went to GP then referred to consultant. Ds eventually had ultrasound scan and consultant said something wasn't right and arranged for biopsy under general anaesthetic. I was convinced it was something dreadful and beside myself with worry imagining all sorts of things. Was in hospital and about to go to theatre when consultant came round and declared he thought lump had gone down a bit so therefore should leave it alone!! Didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Ds still has the lump but was told it was just a gland that goes up and down. Definitely go to GP and get it checked. Better to be safe and all that.

kaylasmum Mon 07-Jul-08 21:20:49

My dp is just putting ds to bed so i'll just wait until the morning. I have some diazepam that my gp prescribed for me take when i get too anxious but have only taken them a couple of times, i think i'll take a couple just to calm me down. I have a 4 yo dd and don't want her to pick up on my anxieties. I'll let you know how things go at the gp tomorrow.

Sorry to keep asking questions spudmasher but how large was the limp on your dd's head?

kaylasmum Mon 07-Jul-08 21:22:13

sorry lump not limp!

spudmasher Mon 07-Jul-08 21:24:01

Don't worry. Your situation really reminds me of how awful it is when they are little and something is wrong. I am slightly better now but not much. It is the most awful feeling.
It was about the size of a 10p piece. Enormous in my eyes.Quite pointy at the top sort of.

stealthsquiggle Mon 07-Jul-08 21:29:42

kaylasmum - DS had exactly the same - softish lump, under the skin, same place, no discomfort, etc, etc. Halfway down their backs, as the GP and the consultant pointed out to me, is somewhere where is it exceedingly unlikely to be anything sinister. DS's lump was diagnosed as a fatty lump and the decision was to remove it well before he went to school in case it caught on things and/or he got teased. We had it done when he was 3.5 in the end, and it was in fact a lump of blood vessels (which has a name but I can't spell it) but still completely and utterly harmless.

kaylasmum Mon 07-Jul-08 21:32:22

Did your ds have to have it removed and at what age did you first notice it? I can't stand the thought of him having to be put to sleep for an operation.

stealthsquiggle Mon 07-Jul-08 21:36:54

11mths ish when we first noticed it. He didn't have to have it removed, and it certainly wasn't urgent (and the consultant wasn't keen to do it when he was very little) but he became quite aware of it at 3 and a bit and we decided to get it over with. We could have waited until 6 or 7 and they would have done it under local anaesthetic.

kaylasmum Mon 07-Jul-08 21:40:33

Oh right, well i'd better just wait and see what the gp says tomorrow. I feel a little bit calmer after reading some of the replies. I always imagine the worst, its so hard being a mum!

cadelaide Mon 07-Jul-08 21:42:18

DS has a pea-sized soft lump at the back of his neck.

He's 2, (today actually!)and i noticed it when he was about 15m old. It is the same colour as surrounding skin and hasn't changed in size. I mean to ask GP about it next time we go but he's been very well and we haven't seen GP for ages. It hasn't bothered me (but reading this thread is, iyswim!)

stealthsquiggle Mon 07-Jul-08 21:44:55

I empathise entirely - DH and I were both worried sick when we first found DS's lump. Ask for a referral to a paediatrician anyway to put your mind completely at rest. Take care of yourself and let us know what the GP says.

(BTW DS is 5 now and is very proud of the "when I had the operation to take my lump out" story grin)

kaylasmum Mon 07-Jul-08 21:50:45

Not too sure if they would refer him to a paediatrician if i was too ask if thats something they don't decide on there own as i think the gp's at my practice know me as an over anxious mum!! I'll see what the GP says and then decide whether to ask for a referral. I think the waiting for an appointment would make my anxiety levels soar.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »