Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Isn't it funny that we don't have a thread about mooncups in ages...

(55 Posts)
MmeLindt Sat 05-Jul-08 22:18:38

... then several come along at once.

I was just thinking today that we have not had a good mooncup thread for ages. There must be lots of newbies to convert.

FrannyandZooey Sat 05-Jul-08 22:19:14

we need a mooncup SECTION!
halleslurpinglujah!

Shitemum Sat 05-Jul-08 22:19:42

lol!

MmeLindt Sat 05-Jul-08 22:46:36

Yes! A mooncup section that newbies are directed towards when they join MN.

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 05-Jul-08 22:56:21

Yes, like the 159 bus!

EmmyLou Sat 05-Jul-08 23:07:45

Bugger. Thanks for reminding me that mine is festering - unused - in the bathroom cupboard. Something about 'trimming the little taggy bit or it'll hurt' just put me off.

MmeLindt Sat 05-Jul-08 23:16:28

Get it out and use it, you will love it when you get over the euwww factor.

Honest!

DustyTV Sat 05-Jul-08 23:18:21

Erm at the risk of sounding slightly newbieish what is a mooncup?

EmmyLou Sat 05-Jul-08 23:19:59

But...but...

Oh blimey, well, there is a credit crunch after all...

EyeballsintheSky Sat 05-Jul-08 23:20:21

Spooky, I have just this minute ordered one. Not sure about it though but I'm sick of everything else and want a change!

tigana Sat 05-Jul-08 23:20:28

Is it because like women in families together and in offices etc all our menstrual cycles have slowly become aligned over the months and years??!! So we all think about these things at similar times.

Thsi would also explain the cyclical nature of MN bust-ups/proliferation of dull threads.

MmeLindt Sat 05-Jul-08 23:22:09

Dusty
Oh, goodie. Someone to convert. We have been waiting for you.

www.mooncup.co.uk/

Now we just need lots of mooncuppies to come on and tell you how fab they are.

MmeLindt Sat 05-Jul-08 23:23:23

oops

DustyTV Sat 05-Jul-08 23:24:19

lol MmeLindt, I can't get the link to work.

I am reallllly curious now....

DustyTV Sat 05-Jul-08 23:26:13

Got it ta.

Looks like they could be painful!! Do they actually work??

I need to have a good look at that site to see how they would work.

MmeLindt Sat 05-Jul-08 23:28:52

Does not hurt at all, I actually forget that I have my period now.

33k Sat 05-Jul-08 23:38:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

madmarriedNika Sat 05-Jul-08 23:39:29

ok I have a question for you mooncup users... I bought one a couple of months ago and gave it a go as soon as AF showed up.... Inserted no prob but after a couple of hrs it seemed to have disappeared up there blush- I had soooooo much trouble retrieving it I was contemplating an excruciatingly awful trip to A&E.... I checked and re-checked the users guide and couldn't work out what I did wrong- did I buy the wrong size? Haven't dared use it since (or told anyone else about this experience)!

I'd love to use one if I can get it to work properly!!!

PS. Don't mean to put anyone off mooncups...must just be my strange bits!!!

DustyTV Sat 05-Jul-08 23:40:29

Oooo it's not very expensive is it, compared to tampons. I may be well and truly converted.

But I have a question, how do you get it out? I can't find info on getting it out, only on putting it in.

And what do you do in public toilets?? How do you wash it??

MmeLindt Sat 05-Jul-08 23:43:46

There was a thread today about someone not being able to remove her mooncup. The general opinion was squat and push down, like in childbirth.

Perhaps you inserted it too high?

That has happened once or twice, sometimes I put some loo roll down the loo first.

madmarriedNika Sat 05-Jul-08 23:48:33

Thanks, possibly did insert it too high but found the 'tag' v long, now having read a bit more realise I could cut it down a bit. Will experiment when feeling brave.

Can't squat as have hip replacement/restricted mobility - and haven't given birth naturally either so not great at accessing too far "up there"!! (ended up using tweezers VERY carefully shock blush)

EyeballsintheSky Sat 05-Jul-08 23:50:47

<cancels order shock>

MmeLindt Sat 05-Jul-08 23:55:33

oooh @ tweezers shock

I cut the tail of my MC completely.

The other MNetter reported that her DH retrieved her mooncup. I have only just told DH that I have a mooncup and I have been using it for a year now.

Eyeinthesky
don't you dare! Step away from the cancel button.

Olihan Sat 05-Jul-08 23:55:51

mmN, I find it easiest to get mine out while sitting on the loo, just lean forwards a bit, quick rummage and a push and it's out!

Dusty, do get one. They are so much nicer than anything else. It does take a bit of practice but once you've worked out how to get iit in and out and whereabouts it needs to be (much lower than a tampon) you don't even notice them.

I have to say I have, on several occasions, actually forgotten it's in, it's that comfortable.

33k, I get that too. Not just you smile. I like the suggestion about putting loo roll down first, will try that next time.

Public toilets - either take a small bottle of water in with you, or just empty and reinsert, then wash it next time you're somewhere a bit more private.

Honestly, they are great!

MmeLindt Sat 05-Jul-08 23:57:31

Sorry, Eyeballsinthesky, I forgot your balls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now