Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I think DS3 is getting dehydrated - any advice?

(7 Posts)
dinosaur Tue 01-Feb-05 16:49:01

DS3 has been struggling with a bad cold.

Last night he only drank about three oz of his bedtime bottle and was quite reluctant to breastfeed during the night (not like him!). I thought he was breastfeeding okay today, but his fontanelle feels quite depressed and he has had a dry nappy since lunchtime (it's nearly five o'clock now).

I've tried giving him some boiled water with a dash of juice in it, and breastfeeding him more, but he's just not having it. Any suggestions?

NotQuiteCockney Tue 01-Feb-05 16:50:23

How old is he?

If he's reasonably old, I'd give him water with quite a bit of juice in it, as that would be tempting, if he's not used to it.

dinosaur Tue 01-Feb-05 16:56:53

he's six months, and not used to it at all

NotQuiteCockney Tue 01-Feb-05 17:10:04

I'd keep offering boob, maybe a bit of half-juice half-water?

I'm pretty anti-juice, but if he really seems dehydrated it's worth a try.

He's probably fine, maybe a bit dry. I think they start to look significantly off when seriously dehydrated ... sunken eyes?

mears Tue 01-Feb-05 17:24:37

Keep offering the breast and nothing else. Breastmilk has enough water content and the antibodies he gets will help him fight off the infection he has. As long as he is feeding he will start to improve soon.

aloha Tue 01-Feb-05 17:25:04

Sugar water (only a little bit of sugar) served warm. Ds has always liked this and it doesn't upset his tummy.

dinosaur Wed 02-Feb-05 09:25:27

Thanks everyone for your advice.

DH did get him to drink some boiled water with a bit of juice in (for some reason he will accept non-milk food and drinks much more readily than from me) and he did have a breastfeed as well. His bedtime nappy was quite wet and so was his nappy first thing this morning, and his fontanelle isn't depressed any more, His cold generally seems better too.

Aloha, may I wish you all the very best for Monday?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now