Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tips for administering eye drops ...

(20 Posts)
WigWamBam Tue 01-Feb-05 09:41:28

My dd (3.75) has conjunctivitis, and I'm having a terrible job getting her drops in. She fights me, screws her eyes up, pulls her head away, pulls my hand away - it took me 20 minutes to get one eye done this morning, and I ended up getting most of the bottle down her front! Does anyone have any tips for administering eye drops easily?

blossom2 Tue 01-Feb-05 09:43:35

we told DD that she could have chocolate afterwards if she sat still and let me put them in. she wasn't happy but the thought of chocolate kept her going ...

onlyjoking Tue 01-Feb-05 09:46:29

have you tried putting them in with her eyes closed cos then she will blink and the drops go in, much easier that way

WigWamBam Tue 01-Feb-05 09:50:45

I tried that last night, oj, but she just kept her eyes screwed up and the drops ended up down her front.

I also tried bribing her, blossom, but she just kept saying "No thanks!" to what I was trying to bribe her with!

MistressMary Tue 01-Feb-05 09:56:27

Wait til she sleeps?

WigWamBam Tue 01-Feb-05 09:58:41

I have to give them three times a day, mm!

Kittypickle Tue 01-Feb-05 10:00:41

Put her head back, might be easier to lie her down. Put the bottle flat in the dip at the bridge of her nose so the spout is just over the corner of her eye. Gently squeeze a drop, should land in her eye. This works for adults, I haven't tried it on children but hopefully it will work.

MistressMary Tue 01-Feb-05 10:00:58

Not so practical then for all three times anyhow.

WigWamBam Tue 01-Feb-05 10:02:07

Worth a shot for bedtime though, mm!

Thanks, kittypickle, sounds worth a try. And thanks everyone else for your suggestions.

Gwenick Tue 01-Feb-05 10:02:35

my BIL was talking to me about this the other night - he runs a pharmacy and as such often has to dispense eye drops and advise parents how to administer them. He always thought it sounded SOOO easy - until his DD had conjunctivitis (sp) last week and he discovered that even while sleeping she would close her eyes really tightly so that the drops wouldn't go in - he reckons the person who develops a foolproof way of giving eye drops to little kids will be a millionaire in a very short space of time

BearintheBigBlueHouse Tue 01-Feb-05 10:17:15

What worked for us (and I've mentioned it on here before) is me getting conj too so I needed eye drops as well. DD (then just 3) agreed to the trade off of putting Daddy's drops in before I put hers in. You could try it just using Optrex if you didn't want to go the whole hog and get infected.

WigWamBam Tue 01-Feb-05 10:19:43

Sneaky!

whymummy Tue 01-Feb-05 10:32:35

hi WGB i had the same problem with dd,she had conj. lots of times and it was imposible to get the drops in so the doctor gave me cream instead of drops,little tube,much,much easier to use
HTH

IlanaK Tue 01-Feb-05 13:13:28

The method that was taught to me was to lay the child down on the floor with their head between your knees - so that you are at their head end if you see what I mean. This stops them from turning their head to the side. With one hand/arm hold their arms down on their chest. Then put the drops into the corner of both eyes. They will be tightly screwed up of course. They will b e fighting you, but you can tell them that when they open their eyes, you will let them up. If you have managed not to let their head turn, then the drops will go in when their eyes open. It is not esepcially nice to hold them down, but needs must.

iota Tue 01-Feb-05 13:16:51

Been there done that I've also tried putting some drops onto cotton wool and pressing that/wiping it over their lashes - I'm sure some goes in eventually when they blink

tararyanleah Tue 01-Feb-05 13:24:24

haven't read everyone's answers to this so might be repeating.However,I was told to lie little one on my knee and,if they battle when u try to open their lids,just put some in the inside corner.When they open their eyes,the drops-most of them anyway-fall into their eyes.

WigWamBam Tue 01-Feb-05 14:08:11

All-in wrestling would probably be easier than giving a child eye-drops! I tried putting them into the inside corner of her eyes at lunchtime but I think I must be doing it wrong, as I still ended up with more drops on the sofa than in her eye! Thank you for all your ideas ... I think I shall be working my way through all of them over the next couple of days.

MistressMary Wed 02-Feb-05 08:54:24

Any progress WWB?

daisy1999 Wed 02-Feb-05 09:05:14

sorry if this has already been suggested - best way I found was to wait until dd asleep, lay her on her back, put a drop in the inside corner of her eye and gently move the eyelid so it goes in.

WigWamBam Wed 02-Feb-05 09:39:55

She's doing a bit better actually, mistressmary - she tells me that she needs the drops in, fetches them for me and lies down to have them put in. It's still a bit of a fight for me to keep her eyes open, because she still struggles a bit (can't blame her, actually, I hate eyedrops), but she's being really good about it, which makes things a bit easier. I tried putting it in the corner of her eyes but it just ended up running down her face, so I'm back to holding her eye open, but at least she's being more co-operative about it now. Thanks for asking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now