Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hmmm...what have I done to my thumb?

(11 Posts)
Hulababy Wed 02-Jul-08 16:33:55

On Monday I was in school helping and did a lot of cutting out of pretty thick card - taking ages to do. By the end of it my thumb was pretty sor. I probably should have stopped earlier but you know what it is like when you are busy. Well, I just assumed it'd pass.

Now, 2 days later my thumb is still sore. It is the pad bit of my thumb and it is a really wierd feeling. It is kind of tingly and tender to touch - not painful as such, just not comfortable. It is almost like the nerve endings are standing on edge constantly. It doesn't look ruised or swollen or anything. But it is sore when I am using it - it is my right hand so uncomfortable to write and type, which obviously at work is someting I am doign all the time.

Is it normal for it to feel like this? And for so long? And when will it go back to normal? Anything I can do to make it feel better?

Hulababy Wed 02-Jul-08 21:06:22

I still hurts

Piffle Wed 02-Jul-08 21:09:27

could it be carpal tunnel from repetitive work?
def sounds nervy

Hulababy Wed 02-Jul-08 21:43:41

I guess it will just go in a day or two then.

Hulababy Wed 02-Jul-08 21:50:55

Carpal tunnel seems a bit too severe - this is only affecting my thumb, no other fingers or rest of hand. Very wierd feeling though, all tingling and like nerves on right on the surface. Has to have been caused by the scissor cutting on Monday.

Hulababy Mon 07-Jul-08 21:08:31

It still hurts; infact more so now than it did before

Bottom of my thmb is now very sore and tender; top part and pad of thumb still tingling too.

Not happy.

fizzbuzz Mon 07-Jul-08 21:25:44

I get this all the time, when cutting out heavy stuff. It feels like a bruise, but no visible signs. It goes away after a few days.

Cutting out thick card is always the worst.

Hulababy Mon 07-Jul-08 21:26:51

It has now been over 7 days and it is getting worse; is this normal then?

So much for helping out at school - I didn't sign up for being injured! Maybe I should sue them for a term's fees wink

fizzbuzz Mon 07-Jul-08 21:33:09

Aah..getting worse, not normal IMO. Should really be getting better by now

Hulababy Mon 07-Jul-08 21:36:39

That's what I had assumed would happen. But the bottom of my thumb, where it meets my hand is now very sore and tender. TBH it is uncomfortable all the time, even when not in use. I am typing without using it as hitting the key with it hurts.

I am thinking it may be the nerve I have hurt, hence the tingling too. But why won't it improve.

There is no visable signs f bruising, etc. and no swelling.

Hulababy Thu 24-Jul-08 22:24:34

Thought I would update this.

It still hasn't gone - now over 3 weeks since I did it. Half on my thumb is still tingling most of the time. It doesn't hurt, although does ache a bit if been using it a lot, such as at work.

I assume I have damaged the nerve endings or something.

Would a Gp really be able to do anything about it though do you reckon?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now