Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

mmr jab with a cold?

(7 Posts)
mummylonglegs Mon 31-Jan-05 12:22:27

I think I probably know the answer to this but just checking. We've finally decided to get dd vaccinated, she's 2.3, and are going for the triple jab as we've had hell trying to find / afford singles. She's got an app. tomorrow morning but last night / today has developed a cold. It's a typical kind of cold, runny nose etc., no fever and she's pretty chipper in herself. Do I postpone? Phoned GP but they just said to go ahead with it if she doesn't have an 'infection' ... What do you think?

nailpolish Mon 31-Jan-05 12:24:49

i was told to go home twice by the nurse when i took dd for her mmr, she had a cold both times. i dont think there was any other reason though apart from the fact that the jab makes them feel lousy and feeling lousy with a cold is bad enough, but feeling twice as lousy the nurse thought it was unkind to dd.

she eventually got it 3 rd time round

CountessDracula Mon 31-Jan-05 12:59:20

I wouldn't

skiingmummy Mon 31-Jan-05 13:04:32

Same as NP - DS had a cold when his jab was due, I went to tell them I didn't want him to have it while he was under the weather and the doc totally agreed with me and told us to come back in a fortnight.

Better to wait till they're fully fit I reckon.

muminlondon Mon 31-Jan-05 13:07:48

I'd say postpone for a week. The MMR made my dd quite grumpy for about 3 days and she had a mild temperature at one point - you don't want her to feel any lousier than that.

Lonelymum Mon 31-Jan-05 13:08:02

It might not be a bad cold. We all had one a week or so ago that never developed beyond a slight sniffle and a bit of an odd feeling in the throat. Literally gone after one or two days. The symptoms of MMR don't kick in for 7-10 days. But, do what you think is best. Usually you can just turn up next week or the week after, can't you?

mummylonglegs Tue 01-Feb-05 14:10:57

Thanks everyone. I did cancel the appointment. I don't know why, maybe because I've left it so long, but the nurse really thought I was mad to leave it and mentioned that it was another week of my dd being 'vulnerable' to measles etc. Anyway, seeing as dp and I had this cold and it was a bit of a stinker I decided to wait a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now