Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

9 month old vomiting after giving paracetamol medicines

(6 Posts)
zulubump Mon 30-Jun-08 20:46:35

My 9 month old dd seems to be having teething pain and I just gave her some calpol after which she immediately vomited up a huge amount of her dinner all over me, the carpet etc. She has had calpol before and been ok with it, though she hates taking it. A few weeks ago she was poorly with a high temperature and I tried medised then and that made her vomit every time I got a tiny bit down her (though I only tried a few times obviously!). Can babies be sensitive to paracetamol in this way?

fledtoscotland Mon 30-Jun-08 20:53:29

its probably not the paracetamol but the flavouring in the medicine. my DS (9months old) has a strawberry allergy/intolerance and vomits like the excorcist when he has calpol. we get medinol from the GP or use orange flavour neurofen.

FWIW paracetamol allergies are very rare (i'm a nurse) and the allergy is usually from the tablet coating or the syrup flavouring.

HTH and hope she feels better soon

zulubump Mon 30-Jun-08 21:04:58

Oh thanks, didn't think of that. She's sleeping peacefully now, poor thing.

fledtoscotland Mon 30-Jun-08 21:40:49

hope she gets a good nights sleep. have you tried the teething powders btw - DS has 5 top teeth coming through at the moment and is very grumpy. the powders are a godsend!

Thankyouandgoodnight Mon 30-Jun-08 22:27:07

By the way - the licencing laws have changed and medised shouldn't be given to children under 2 now. You won't have harmed your LO, just for furture ref.....

LindaBella Wed 09-Jul-08 20:45:50

Hi, I have just had the same vomit experience with my DD, will try Neurofen next time, thank you for the tip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now