Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pre-menopause??

(7 Posts)
tex111 Sat 29-Jan-05 18:44:56

We've been trying to have our second baby for almost a year. I had a miscarriage in June at 11 weeks and a very early one in September. Over the last year I've been experiencing some changes in my cycle and symptoms that I've never had before around the time I'm due to start such as tender breasts, feeling very tired and more irritable than usual. My cycle has been fluctuating a bit too and I've always been like clockwork. I put this all down to the miscarriages and my body getting back to normal but someone mentioned the word premenopause and it scared the life out of me.

My mother had a hysterectomy in her early 40s so I don't know when she would've gone through the change. I'm 34 and have been doing a bit of research on the web and apparently premenopause does often start in the mid-thirties. Does anyone know anything about this? The problem with researching on the web is that there's such a huge amount of information that it's hard to make sense of it all. I'd be grateful for any information you can pass on.

velcrobott Sat 29-Jan-05 19:04:42

Well they've diagnosed this with me, I am 36 (also trying to concieve) but they were super quick to add that it is a field that is highly unclear and causes are missunderstood.... I didn't have a period for 6 months but just had one .... I had some reflexology and womb massage... don't know if it is a coincidence or not but I am pleased to have had a period.

WigWamBam Sat 29-Jan-05 19:30:18

I'm pretty sure that you can have blood tests done to see if you are in perimenopause - perhaps you could have a chat with your GP and see if he would be willing to arrange for you to have them done.

velcrobott Sat 29-Jan-05 19:34:06

Blood tests are never conclusive though

tex111 Sat 29-Jan-05 19:45:27

How were you diagnosed velcrobott? I've been thinking about going to the GP but was afraid they would just tell me it was probably related to the miscarriages. Our practice is very bad about blowing people off so I haven't bothered going yet. But perhaps I should. I'd be very interested to hear your experience Velcrobott.

velcrobott Sat 29-Jan-05 20:10:39

Well I had a 1st blood test which said FSH levels were too high but not dramatically so. However they didn't know where I was in my cycle so it wasn't a perfect measurement.
Then I went back for ANOTHER blood test and my prolactin levels were measured and I can't remember what that said but as everything else was fine.... it was concluded perimenopause and an appointment to the consultant in 4 weeks.

tex111 Mon 31-Jan-05 09:36:57

Thanks velcrobott, that's really interesting. I think I will see my GP. Couldn't hurt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now