Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

dd has had flu now has awful cough!!

(7 Posts)
lilsmum Sat 29-Jan-05 07:33:06

dd started with flu on monday, shestill has runny nose and a terrible cough, took her the docs yesterday and he said her chest was clear, but she keeps coughing and crying when she coughs, she is 12mth, i bought some tixylix chesty cough medicine but it isnt helping really, gave her her bottle of milk this morn and she has trown the lot back up, and has coughed up flem a couple of times, she has also got runny nappies, she has also been running a temp of 39 but i have been giving her calpol and nurofen when possible, dont know what to do for her tbh
do you think i should take her emergency doc?

lilsmum Sat 29-Jan-05 08:33:08

anyone??

misdee Sat 29-Jan-05 08:37:01

take her. if your not happy with how she is (and she has been ill a while now) then take her.

lilsmum Sat 29-Jan-05 08:43:29

i know, but the g.p yesterday brushed me off, its always a fight with them isnt it?

LIZS Sat 29-Jan-05 08:46:06

Sympathies - I have a 3 yr old who has been pretty similar this week and is at least seeming better. For the cough try humidifying the air -with wet towels on a radiator or a humidifier for example - or using a vaporiser with oils. also keep her head raised even in her cot by stacking the legs at the head end on books or low toilet training style stools or rolled towels under the mattress (I've put 2 adult pillows under dd's bed mattress but wouldn't do that for a baby). dd is often sick with a cough and if, like her, your dd has lost her appetite and is drinking more milk than usual, say, then that combined with the mucus may account for the nappies. We didn't get on wth Tixylix but used Medised (contains paracetamol) for the first time last night and it seems to have helped.

If you are worried, especially with a temperature too, or her breathing becomes difficult then contact the dr but as most of these are viral there isn't much help they can really offer. If you are worried about giving oral painkillers with her being sick you coudl get suppositories from the pharmacy to use instead.

Hope she feels better soon

lilsmum Sat 29-Jan-05 09:58:14

thanks for the reply LIZS... there must be loads of these sort of things going round at moment i have had it too but i understand what it is and can blow my nose etc, she been sleeping not too bad justwakes up a little with the coughing

hope your poor dd is better soon

xx

dinosaur Sat 29-Jan-05 10:37:49

lilsmum, you have all my sympathy - I've had the flu and so have all three DSs and the four of us still have terrible coughs.

Did you tell the doctor yesterday that she was running a temperature of 39? That sounds kind of high to me. If she wasn't running a fever when he saw her, that might be why he seemed a little complacent.

Otherwise, I'm not sure there is much we can do for the little sufferers. DS3 (aged 6 months) gets very distressed in the night. I've been massaging his chest with BabyBalsam and I find that picking him up and letting him go back to sleep on my chest seems to comfort him. Means I have to sit up in the bed and let him sleep on me for a while though, which ain't great!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: