Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How to handle complacent hospital staff

(14 Posts)
Harrysmom Thu 27-Jan-05 13:54:14

My SIL law just told me a very scary story about her son. When he was 4 apparently she rushed him to casualty as he had been vomiting, had a temp and was very vacant and drowsy. She immediately thought of miningitis. She got him to a very busy casualty department and explained the symptoms to reception and told them she was very concerned. They took her details and told her to take a number and wait in the waiting room, also that average wait could be over an hour. Naturally my SIL objected, saying she wanted him to be seen straight away, as she felt it might be meningitis. The receptionist told her that the child didnt look unwell and that she would have to wait her turn. My SIL approached a nurse and explained. The nurse said she would find a registrar to come asap. 40 mins later someone came. my SIL was beside herself!

This scared me to death! Im wondering what I should do if I suspect anything like that with DS? Would you cause a scene?

As it turned out, her son just had a virus (Thank God), but nevertheless was quite poorly and was kept at childrens hospital overnight.

nailpolish Thu 27-Jan-05 13:57:15

if you want to make a complaint most hospitals have a 'patients advocate' who deals with things like this.

i am sorry she had such a scare, glad he was ok in the end

dinny Thu 27-Jan-05 14:00:17

how awful, Harrysmom. Didn't they hav a triage system (where they are assessed as soon as they arrive by a nurse and prioritised?) I've taken dd to paediatric A&E where they did that.

Harrysmom Thu 27-Jan-05 14:03:31

That was what the number-taking was for, the triage system. I can believe it though. Our hospital casualty dept. (Brighton) is always jam packed, and a hang out for drunks and druggies too.

dinny Thu 27-Jan-05 14:06:21

mine is St George's in Tooting - they have this separate paed bit/waiting room (packed but at least not with lairy drunken louts). Shame all hospitals don't have separate A&Es for kids.

Marina Thu 27-Jan-05 14:07:48

It is worth driving or cabbing to another local hospital if you know it has a separate paediatric A & E. It makes a real difference.

bundle Thu 27-Jan-05 14:09:29

last time we went to a&e we had only been sitting for about a minute when the triage nurse came over and once we were assessed we were sent to the paeds waiting area (no pissed up punters) where we had another hour and half before we were seen by a doctor.

Pamina3 Thu 27-Jan-05 14:14:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bundle Thu 27-Jan-05 14:17:26

pamina, i rang our emergency out of hours doc about just that and he called my mobile straight away (we were en route to a kids party but close to the hospital...) and he assured me one berry - even a few was fine. i couldn't believe how chilled he was about it!

Pamina3 Thu 27-Jan-05 14:21:10

bundle Thu 27-Jan-05 14:22:26

it was my neighbour who said to me: isn't that deadly nightshade in your front garden???!!!

Pamina3 Thu 27-Jan-05 14:25:18

Podmog Thu 27-Jan-05 14:28:14

Message withdrawn

batters Thu 27-Jan-05 14:29:15

Blimey, some of these experiences sound awful. My dd has been to a seperate A&E within a hospital twice, and each time been assessed by a nurse very quickly. I haven't minded waiting for a doctor - but then again, my dd hadn't swallowed potentially fatal berries or been suffering from symptoms that could be meningitis.

I do prefer the seperate A&Es for children, for the simple reasons that we don't have to sit down amongst drunk and disorderly scary people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now