Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

colds, anything else that help dry a really runny nose up other than medised??

(14 Posts)
alibo Wed 26-Jan-05 08:59:27

ds is nearly one and is teething and has just started with a really snotty nose and cough as well. don't really want to start giving medised in the daytime even though it helps to dry his nose up. anyone know of anything else to use to help him sleep in the day??

misdee Wed 26-Jan-05 09:17:30

anti histimine?

i'd stick with medised.

weightwatchingwaterwitch Wed 26-Jan-05 09:18:36

Me too, Medised seems good to me. We used Tixylix instead last night as dd is coughing and it stopped her coughing AND she more or less slept through. Sympathies, horrible isn't it?

alibo Wed 26-Jan-05 10:03:58

thanks for repies; just don't want the medised to make him too drowsy during the day, as its a struggle to get him to eat anything when he's tired. then end up feeding in the night if he doesn't eat much during the day, which is another hard habit to break. he's only just got over a cold he had over christmas, so along with the teething feel like he's getting too much calpol, nurofen etc already! is there an anti histamine you can get on its own?

nailpolish Wed 26-Jan-05 10:04:46

smear vicks vapo rub on a wet flannel and put on the radiators

bundle Wed 26-Jan-05 10:05:39

have you asked your pharmacist? ours is v good at this sort of thing.

Sponge Wed 26-Jan-05 10:07:44

It's the antihistamine that casues the drowsiness though Alibo. Otherwise Medised is just paracetamol.
You could try rubbing some Vicks on his chest or putting a few drops of something like Olbas oil on a tissue near him as the fumes help clear the nose. Steam can also help.

bundle Wed 26-Jan-05 10:09:01

there is a non-drowsy antihistamine, our pharmacist gave it to us when dd1 had really bad mozzie bites (I actually carried on giving her the piriton as the rest was what she wanted!), but it's only suitable over a certain age, can't remember exactly what age though.

fruitful Wed 26-Jan-05 10:09:38

Have a look at Boots.com or ask in Boots - there are various different sorts of Tixylix and Benylin which dry up noses. Watch out though - some are for chesty coughs so not the same at all.

The trouble is, it is the anti-histamine that makes them drowsy. So most things that dry them up also send them to sleep.

Karvol on the t-shirt (or a bit of cloth attached to t-shirt) about 30 minutes before nap time is quite good too - their nose runs constantly and is nice and clear by the time you put them to bed!

alibo Wed 26-Jan-05 10:13:23

sorry, didn't explain very well; was wondering if anyone knew of a non-drowsy anti histamine that a one yr old can take, as it is a very runny cold, and thought it might help "dry it up" a bit without doping him!! have got some of the carvol plug in things and capsules, but wasn't sure whether these would be any good as the box says it helps unblock a stuffy nose, so thought this might make the "runniness" worse?

alibo Wed 26-Jan-05 10:16:46

oops fruitful, posts crossed! will try the carvol before nap instead of using it near his cot durin nap.

mamadadawahwah Wed 26-Jan-05 15:25:14

For any kind of respiratory tract/nasal infection, I use hydrogen peroxide 3 strength. I dilute it a wee bit and then syringe it into my kids ears. I do on my own ears too. Not only does it clear ear wax, it finds its way down the eustachian tube and is supposed to clear up infection. Works for me.

alibo Sat 29-Jan-05 09:19:42

anyone used mnedised in the daytime? ds is still so blocked up he can barely eat or drink.

alibo Sat 29-Jan-05 09:20:05

sorry that should be medised

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now