Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Candida advice needed

(7 Posts)
Blossomhill Tue 25-Jan-05 20:57:46

I have quite a few symptoms of this and read an article in a magazine about it. The woman had a a test and then had to completely change her diet.
Has anyone had experience of this or where I can go to have a test done as I doubt they'll do it on the NHS!

vict17 Tue 25-Jan-05 20:59:05

hi BH - sorry to hear this. My sister has this and said thissite is very helpful

Blossomhill Tue 25-Jan-05 21:09:12

Thanks Vict17. Just had a look through the symptoms and I have most of them!!!! The tests are quite expensive at £65 though!

Blossomhill Wed 26-Jan-05 13:39:26

Is it possible to have this test on the NHS???

WigWamBam Wed 26-Jan-05 14:14:10

No - it certainly wasn't avaliable onthe NHS when I had it done. If you don't want to pay for the tests to be done (many of them are unreliable, anyway), try an exclusion diet. Cut out everything which contains yeast and see if you notice a difference - it will probably take about a month for you to see any improvement. You shouldn't eat bread or anything breaded, mushrooms, vinegar, Quorn, beer, stock cubes, Marmite, and you should also try to avoid sugar as well, because sugar feeds the yeast.

It's a very restrictive diet, but well worth it if it is candida overgrowth that you've got. Eventually you will probably be able to reintroduce the foods to your diet, although it can take a long while - it was two years before I could.

mamadadawahwah Wed 26-Jan-05 15:05:45

Yes, my suggestion after suffering from this too, is to avoid coffee/tea/sugar of any kind and use natural yogurt as a topical cream on the affected area. The yogurt for me was the best. Not only soothing but balances out the ph. doctors will never tell you this though mine did. She was from yugoslavia and was a dream. Told me about a number of "old country" recipes for common ailments.

NatureDoc Sun 30-Jan-05 21:46:44

Naturopaths such as www.gni-international.org would be able to hlep you with this - it's only if it's systemic that the docs will give you antifungals on NHS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now