Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

is it flu?

(8 Posts)
Titania Tue 25-Jan-05 18:34:22

What can i take? Most cold/flu remedies are unsuitable to take while on ads. Have taken some paracetamol and desperatly trying in inhale vicks. My head feels really stuffy and I'm shivering but keep going hot and cold. Got a sore throat, lost my voice and I can't breathe. I've got a really tight chest and a cough and feel really lethargic. My nose is really sore and bleeding and I've used about 3 toilet rolls on my nose!!

I'm going to bed in a bit
DH says I must be ill....I've only mopped my floor twice today!!

foxinsocks Tue 25-Jan-05 18:39:24

well...in response to is it flu...

I always thought flu was a joke until 2002 in September when I thought I was never going to get out of bed again. I literally did not move from my bed (other than going to the loo) for 4 days. I couldn't even read a book, I was that ill. Apart from Glandular Fever when I was 17 and Bacterial Dyssentry when I was 19 (I lived in Africa then!), I had NEVER been so ill.

So my feeling (and according to that doctor bloke on GMTV!) is that if you can get out of bed, it's not flu! but if you can and you feel lousy then it's probably a really bad head cold.

If you can't take much, freshly squeezed lemon and a spoon of honey in hot water does wonders. Hope you feel better soon. xx

FineFigureFio Tue 25-Jan-05 18:44:07

you cant get out of bed with flu
you feel like you have been knocked shitless with a baseball bat round yer head

bundle Tue 25-Jan-05 18:45:13

i had to get extra strong painkillers over xmas (voltarol) because i literally couldn't sleep i was in so much pain (mainly back)

foxinsocks Tue 25-Jan-05 18:46:07

oh and should say, it was the first time I had to stay in bed since I was 19 which was well...err....more than a decade ago!

oh and olbas oil not so bad for clearing stuffiness and some great numbing throat lozenges from Boots make your throat feel MUCH better! much sympathies

Lonelymum Tue 25-Jan-05 19:06:01

My brother was told by a doctor: imagine you are lying in bed and you spot a £5 note on the floor. If you have a cold, you would pick it up; if you have flu, you wouldn't!

Stupid story really, because if it was on your bedroom floor, it is yours anyway, but you know what I mean...

Titania Tue 25-Jan-05 19:11:09

im going to bed now. feel really really achy all over. especially my neck. night x

Frizbe Tue 25-Jan-05 19:13:00

dequadin tablets are good for numbing throats,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now