Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dry socket after tooth extraction

(12 Posts)
TheMadHouse Sat 14-Jun-08 11:05:39

Help please

I have develped dry socket after a tooth extraction on Thursday. I have seen back to the dentist and he has dressed it and also prescribed 2 types of anti'B's.

I dont smoke and followed instructions, so I am flumoxed as to how it happened.

My question is how long till the pain subsides. I have not had a decent nights sleep in a week and I feel sick.

I have been taking ibruprofen and Paracetamol/codine, but they do not get rid of the pain and it is worse at night.

Any self help remedies?

TheMadHouse Sat 14-Jun-08 15:14:29

I can not believe I am only only person on the board to have experianced this pain

wabbit Sat 14-Jun-08 15:18:21

sad for your pain but no info... Poor you, would it be better to see a doctor about the pain you're experiencing or perhaps your extraction has caused a fracture in your jaw bone??? the pain sounds excruciating.

pinkmook Sat 14-Jun-08 15:32:03

Hi Themadhouse - I had this after all 3 of my tooth extractions. If you ever have an extraction again you must tell the dentist before hand (or remind him/her if its the same one) that you have dry sockets then they will dress them (before the awful things get infected). You can try putting a bag of frozen peas in a towel against your cheek and also rinse your mouth every time you eat with a salt water solution.

Its a horrible condition to have - like you I dont smoke and followed instructions etc but I think in my case it was just after DS was born and I was very anemic (sp?)and am convinced that contributed to it. I was sick as a dog with it (v. painful as you can imagine) and lost about 1.5 stones (I only weighed 8.5 to start with!) so can fully understand what you're going through!

Stay in bed/on the couch get DH/DP/DC's to look after you. Hope you feel better soon x

TheMadHouse Sat 14-Jun-08 18:20:53

Thanks Pinkmook.

I am really anemic too, so that may have contributed.

I just feel really sick at the minute. The pain seems much worse at night.

I will make sure that I mention it next time - that is if there is a next time grin

herbietea Sat 14-Jun-08 18:25:05

Message withdrawn

Judy1234 Sat 14-Jun-08 19:17:20

Mine was the worst pain I had had for years. You need to buy the very very strongest pain killers you can. Also look it up on line as tehre are various remedies tehre including crushed pain killers applied to the area.

Judy1234 Sat 14-Jun-08 19:20:33

I think my pain lasted a week. The operation was 1 - 2 days before we went on holiday and I spent the first 3 or 4 days unable to do much except lie in bed wishing I had stronger pain killers. So about a week.

pinkmook Sat 14-Jun-08 19:32:01

I felt sick (and was sick) because of infection. I never had a clot to dislodge, all 3 times!

TheMadHouse Sat 14-Jun-08 20:57:54

Yes I have a birds nest thing in. I am going back on monday to have it replaced. I have thrush from the Anti'Bs.

I am feeling really sorry for myself, as I had an abcess, so anti'bs, then this and I also have a face and thoat covered in coldsores - nice

southeastastra Sat 14-Jun-08 21:01:07

have you tried seaching on yahoo answers? they have loads of info on dry sockets

Fedupxx Wed 05-Apr-17 22:53:17

Hi. I had atooth extraction on Friday. By Monday it was painful and smelly. I want back to the dentist. It's a dry socket infection. I had hole washed out and packed. 2x antibiotics. It's Wednesday night still taken pain killers . Antibiotics Don't seem to be working and the packing tastes like rotton teeth again. And smells .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now