Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Advice needed for baby illness please

(18 Posts)
melon1 Mon 24-Jan-05 21:56:59

Hi

Can anyone give me some advice on whether to call the doctor or not - my 4 month old dd was fine this morning, had 7oz of milk about 10.20, fine in herself, then about midday did a really runny poo (sorry for the graphic details! - same colour as normal but really runny) - she has been really sleepy, and since this morning has only had about 6oz in total - she doesn't seem interested in her bottles, has been doing a quiet moany cry, and just threw up when I tried to give her a bottle just now. I gave her some calpol 2 hours ago in case she had stomach pains. I'm really worried about dehydration - she's only been sick once and one dirty nappy - I'm worried about putting her to bed in case she gets worse over night and I won't know - what should I do?

Fimbo Mon 24-Jan-05 21:59:34

I would give NHS DIRECT a call and see what they advise.

jabberwocky Mon 24-Jan-05 22:00:09

Ds hasn't felt like the way you describe so can't give you any advice except to follow your mother's instinct. It sounds like you would feel better if you did call and it couldn't hurt to just get a little advice from your doctor.

Tiggiwinkle Mon 24-Jan-05 22:03:56

Your dd is very young-I would definitely either ring NHS direct or take her to AandE to be checked over.

dinny Mon 24-Jan-05 22:03:56

Melon, the crying you describe would worry me. Call the doctor, they would always rather be called out for a baby than not, iyswim. If you're worried, trust your instincts.

piffle Mon 24-Jan-05 22:26:25

another vote for nhs direct

dinny Mon 24-Jan-05 22:28:01

NHS Direct always tell you to take them to GP/A&E though, don't they?

handlemecarefully Mon 24-Jan-05 22:37:11

I've always found NHS direct rather shite actually.

Signs of dehydration to look for: sunken fontanelle, dry nappies, dry mouth and skin.

My 8 month old hasn't kept a single bottle down all day (due to vomiting and diarrhoea). I've found sips of water (only a few sips at perhaps 10 minutes interval) useful. When they are being sick like this they can't handle volume and its better to go for little and often.

I am an absolute veteran of sick bugs (both my kids are Day Nursery kids - moreover Day Nursery is based at a hospital site where these bugs are more commonplace as nurses have their kids at the Nursery and bring bugs that they have picked up on the wards back to the Nursery). My dd (now 2.6) probably had 5-6 vomiting and diarhhoea episodes by the time she was 13/14 months and my 8 month old is on his 2nd or 3rd bout of it. It's really not nice at the time but they do bounce back quite quickly.

Just keep trying the sips of water but don't give too much at once or the stomach will spasm and out it will come.

pinkdiamond Mon 24-Jan-05 22:41:42

Message withdrawn

wog Mon 24-Jan-05 22:46:12

melon1 how is dd - did you call nhs direct

melon1 Mon 24-Jan-05 22:51:02

Yes, just called NHS Direct, who got my my local C-Doc to call. To be honest, neither were much help - NHS Direct lady asked me to wake dd up so she could hear her be responsive - dd did a little whimper and she was satisfied with that! (DP is upstairs now trying to put her back to bed!) Doctor just said to give her diluted milk and water.

dinny Mon 24-Jan-05 22:53:01

are you happy with that, Melon? if you are, that's fine. if not, call back. hope dd better soon, so many bugs around at the mo.

pinkdiamond Mon 24-Jan-05 22:56:34

Message withdrawn

wog Mon 24-Jan-05 22:58:52

wog i remember once when i phoned nhs direct and she told me to take temp when i told her she said that wa manangeable at home but if it went up by another 1 or 2 degrees I was to take her to A&E I came straight off the phone and tooke her to hospital - they cant see your baby and when i took her to hospital they told me that if i was ever in doubt that i should take her straight to them as that is what they are there for - they were brill - it turned out only to be a bug but my mind was rested.

misdee Mon 24-Jan-05 22:58:52

is she running a temp at all? is she breathing funny? skin paper-y feel to it?

i;d be worried about dehydration at this young age. try and spoon some water into your dd regulary and see if she can keep it down. if swhe cant then go to a+e.

melon1 Mon 24-Jan-05 23:08:44

Well, it was kind of what I already knew. I'm not terribly worried because she's only had one dirty nappy and only been sick once, I was just worried about overnight - I had visions of going to bed and dd becoming really dehydrated overnight - I knew the doctor wouldn't come out or want to see dd - I'm just worried because it's first baby and I have no experience of this - I'm going to try and give her some water now - thanks everyone for all the advice.

melon1 Mon 24-Jan-05 23:08:56

Well, it was kind of what I already knew. I'm not terribly worried because she's only had one dirty nappy and only been sick once, I was just worried about overnight - I had visions of going to bed and dd becoming really dehydrated overnight - I knew the doctor wouldn't come out or want to see dd - I'm just worried because it's first baby and I have no experience of this - I'm going to try and give her some water now - thanks everyone for all the advice.

melon1 Mon 24-Jan-05 23:09:08

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now