Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

4.5 yr old with nosebleeds

(6 Posts)
Hausfrau Mon 24-Jan-05 14:51:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Eeek Mon 24-Jan-05 15:01:28

Hi

the skin has probably dried out after the first bleed and that's why its restarting so easily. If it's cold/windy weather or you have a very dry house it'll be much worse. Get him to put a bit of vaseline up his nostril and it'll probably stop. I used to get exactly the same problem as a child and eventually had it cauterized. It's unlikely to be anything serious but if you're worried do see the doctor.

EEEK x

tarantula Mon 24-Jan-05 15:19:52

I used to get them alot as a child and once you get one then they can reccur quite easily over the next few days. In fact it got to the stage where it was so common it didnt phase me at all just made sure Id lots of tissues with me. My brother was the same too (Hed get them and then say taht one of us girls hit him ). DP still gets nosebleeds all the time and has done since a child particularly when its cold and he moves from cold to warm or blows his nose too hard. He lives with it tho it can be embarrassing as it looks like hes been in a ruck or something. Hope dd isnt like this but shes a wee bit young as yet.
If you are really worried go to the doctor but otherwise Id wait and have a chaat to your GP when you get home. It may stop after a few days when the bloodvessels in his nose heal.
HTH

Hausfrau Mon 24-Jan-05 15:25:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

handlemecarefully Mon 24-Jan-05 22:30:11

I got them all the time as a kid and ending up getting both nostrils cauterised. Don't know if that is still the treatment. Am sure it's okay to wait until you are back in UK

butterflymum Mon 24-Jan-05 23:09:14

My eldest had similar problem when he was 3/4yrs old. Eventually he had both sides cauterised (one at A& E after a particularly prolonged bleed, other at a planned out-patients clinic a few weeks later). Very simple, straight-forward procedure and not too much discomfort for a child. Great success.

As long as you are happy that the bleeds are stopping within a reasonable time and you have no other cause for concern about his health (also that you and he can cope with them if they happen again - our children are OK with nosebleeds but I know it can freak some children a bit), I think I would wait until you get back to the UK.

From what I recall, my GP said this was fairly common in young children (especially boys) and was usually to do with a 'weakness' in a flap of skin/valve (I think) just inside the nostril. Indeed, our middle son, who is 5, has been having bleeds on and off since summertime and we are now thinking he may need to have his nostrils cauterised as well.

Hope this helps...but remember...you know your own child best and if you are in any way concerned then regardless of what any of us have said, it would be more than worth the effort of having to face the language barrier and taking him to a Doctor whilst you are in Germany.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now