Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

i have had a clicky jaw for as long as i can remember but now it feels lkie it might actually dislocate...why..and will it

(38 Posts)
zippitippitoes Wed 11-Jun-08 22:32:08

....er anybody

emma1977 Wed 11-Jun-08 22:38:38

Unlikely, although try to avoid yawning too enthusiatically or biting into apples.

You have TMJ (temporomandibular joint) dysfunction and have probably overstretched the ligaments holding the hinge of your jaw. It will improve but be a bit sore and feel a bt odd for a few days. If it doesn't settle, then see a dentist.

kittywise Wed 11-Jun-08 22:40:26

Yes you have tmj and you need to be very careful. Don';t open your mouth wide , the knock on consequences are pretty awful, but no one on the nhs will be able to help!.( IME)

zippitippitoes Wed 11-Jun-08 22:42:14

dentist always feels it dubiously

but i just had some normal food an orange and thought oh kno it is much worse than normal

mylovelymonster Wed 11-Jun-08 22:43:31

Hmmm...I've had this for a couple of months, after a viral infection with a bit of earache. Clicking getting less frequent though....but you've made me think.......blimey I'm such a hypo.........

greenelizabeth Wed 11-Jun-08 22:44:51

Emma, me too, I have to slice an apple up. And when I'm yawning, I'm controlling the yawn iykwim.

OP, Go to A&E. Tell them it feels like it's about to dislocate. They will exray it for you . If you go to gp, it could take ten yrs to be refered to a maxillo~~consultant.

zippitippitoes Wed 11-Jun-08 22:45:58

ive never given much thought to the clicking tho people do comment it used to annoy exh and we have been ex for 8 years

but i dont remember thinking it would actually fall apart before

QuintessentialShadows Wed 11-Jun-08 22:46:18

I had that when I was a teenager. It was due to being a bit nervous, and clenching my teeth and grinding them at night.

One day I could not open my mouth. I kid you not. I could not open it higher than to get a pencil in. My mum made semolina for breakfast, I fed myself with a knife, as it was flat, I could not even get a spoon in.

I got exercises for my jaw, it took a few weeks, the pain was unbearable. I lost a lot of weight.

zippitippitoes Wed 11-Jun-08 22:47:48

shock

this is not very reassuring

i just thopught it was a vague quirk up to now

zippitippitoes Wed 11-Jun-08 22:48:42

could going on the pill have made it worse

greenelizabeth Wed 11-Jun-08 22:48:48

wow, like having your jaws wired.

QuintessentialShadows Wed 11-Jun-08 22:49:20

Can somebody watch over you when you sleep and tell you what you are doing? Or could you go to sleep and leave a taperecorder on next to you?

zippitippitoes Wed 11-Jun-08 22:50:07

well not onight smile

i live on my own

zippitippitoes Wed 11-Jun-08 22:50:49

is it stress then

i have a cold sore starting too i think and i havent had one for ages

TheLadyP Wed 11-Jun-08 22:51:15

I have this too and my dentist had a plastic/silicon (or something!) 'brace' made for me to wear at night. It was significantly better in a couple of a weeks. It did come back again after my second baby and I keep meaning to start using it again but never get round to it. I had to pay for it but it wasn't massively expensive and definitely worth it. See your dentist!

emma1977 Wed 11-Jun-08 22:51:30

Don't bother going to A&E. There is nothing to be gained from Xraying it. If you dislocated it, that is pretty bloody obvious without an Xray!

A dentist will deal with it much better than NHS max fax TBH. Treatment usualy involves wearing a brace at nighttime.

KerryMum Wed 11-Jun-08 22:52:20

zippi I'd say it needs looking at. what does dentist say?

emma1977 Wed 11-Jun-08 22:52:22

X post!

QuintessentialShadows Wed 11-Jun-08 22:52:48

Do you wake up in the morning with a slightly tired feeling in your mouth? It could possibly been working hard all night!

TheLadyP Wed 11-Jun-08 22:53:03

Stress is definitely a factor. I'm now very aware of clenching my jaw when I am cross, stressed etc.

I have it too, My chiropractor wants me to have all my bite altered to help it.
Where the brace/splint thing too.
Also will help my migraines apparently.
My dentist says I should always cut up apple never try and eat it normally.
I havnt done anything about it yet. Not too bad at the mmoment, although I have had it as long as I can remember.

WendyWeber Wed 11-Jun-08 22:58:58

I get this too on and off, zippi - usually following a night's hard grinding although I never know why I'm doing it (not stress as such and I grind during the day too - other people tap out tunes with a foot, I do it with my teeth)

Anyway my dentist made me one of those brace things, the proper name escapes me - it does work when I use it at night but is a bit gaggy when I first put it in and when I take it out. (Is it called a splint???)

WendyWeber Wed 11-Jun-08 23:00:07

Mine's only a problem on the R side - the L is fine. But I def can't open as wide as I used to to (probably not a bad thing...)

hanaflower Wed 11-Jun-08 23:00:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WendyWeber Wed 11-Jun-08 23:01:42

Mine was £40 (we have Denplan and just pay lab costs)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now