Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone had a boob reduction?

(18 Posts)
sassy Mon 24-Jan-05 10:35:09

I've always been on the generous side of large (34F before kids, up to a 34G once finshed breastfeeding dd1) and promised myself that once my breastfeeding days were over, I'd have them reduced. DD2 is just a fortnight old and i intend to feed her until she's at least 5-6 months, but thought i'd start researching the process now so that I can get going with it fairly soon afterwards.
I'd like to know a few things informally before I start talking to plastic surgeons:-
How much does it hurt? How long does pain last? Will i find it hard to pick up kids (currently aged 2y and 2 weeks)?
How soon after i finish breastfeeding can it be done? I'm a teacher so would be sensible to do it during long summer break but dd2 would only be 7 months by then so might be too soon?
If you had yours done in West Mids, are there any surgoens you can recommend/recommend i avoid?
Is it worth it?
Ta for any advice posted.

lunavix Mon 24-Jan-05 10:37:06

I haven't got any advice I'm afraid but as something I'm quite intersted in too I'd like to see what people have to say!

louee Mon 24-Jan-05 11:09:48

yeah i'd like to know too!!! have had enough and still can't understand why all these people want major breast enlargements!!

wawawa Mon 24-Jan-05 11:19:23

A friend of mine had hers done in the black counrty somewhere, I will ask her.

Hers went horrible after a while and exploded blood all over her kitchen. It was pretty grim the whole op. She is very pleased with it but the convalescence was horrible.

beachyhead Mon 24-Jan-05 11:20:20

Bounce bounce bounce - I am very interested too...sassy, I promised myself that too. Am expecting no 3 in August so probably a 2006 project. Have also just been elevated to 34 G and hoping they don't go any further.

Any surgeons in London anyone knows too? I can't see myself going to a Transform type clinic - whole plastic surgery thing freaks me out, but I think a reduction would improve my quality of like and self image -

jessicasmummy Mon 24-Jan-05 11:20:24

no advice but i would gladly take the extra you dont want!!!

wawawa Mon 24-Jan-05 11:21:07

You have to have a "shunt" in it, the mere mention of the word makes me shudder

dejags Mon 24-Jan-05 11:33:12

I had it done a long time ago. Pleased to say that even though the op was long (3hrs under anaesthetic) I had no unpleasant side effects. I was in hospital 2 days and was out clubbing less than a week later. It really wasn't painful at all.

One thing to bear in mind is that if you scar easily the reduction does leave scars. The technique is different to implants. The other thing I would say is - if you ever intend breastfeeding again, please DONT do it. From a cosmetic POV the reduction was the best thing I have ever done - the PND I got as a result of not being able to breastfeed my baby was not great...

Doesn't really sound applicable to you Sassy, just thought if there were others out there who were contemplating it.

Chuffed Mon 24-Jan-05 12:30:20

can you get it done on nhs? - it is something I've also promised myself after kids...looks like great minds think alike.

beachyhead Mon 24-Jan-05 12:40:51

Its funny as a friend of mine who had it done ages ago has just successfully b/f her baby for the first six months. Guess it's just a case by case thing...

sassy Tue 25-Jan-05 12:46:39

Dejags - thanks for your experience. My family is complete now (esp given the horrible time I have when pg!) so breastfeeding won't be an issue when I get 'done'.
BH - you can get it done on NHS if you are big enough and can prove medical reasons for it - backache, depression etc. There is a 2yr waiting list though!
Any other people got advice for me?

sassy Tue 25-Jan-05 12:47:17

Sorry, NHS comment meant for Chuffed.

charleypops Tue 25-Jan-05 12:59:42

I had one done in 1988. One of the best things I've ever done. I had no pain whatsoever. In fact I was so excited with my new figure I signed out of hospital early (a day or two later I think!) to go strappy-top shopping . You need to discuss exactly where your scars will be. I think mine are a bit unecessarily long and go up under the arms. Also check position of nipples thoroughly when they're planning the op, mine are a bit high.

Scars are there, but not really noticeable, especially with a tan. Go for it!

Dejags - I will probably start a thread on this at some point. I'm expecting my first in June and really want to breastfeed, at least for a few weeks - did you have absolutley no colostrum or milk then?

dejags Tue 25-Jan-05 13:43:09

Charleypops,

I had colostrum with my first but was so inexperienced I didn't know how to approach the whole thing. Second time round I mixed fed DS - it went really well.

It is possible to feed - there is a great website www.bfar.com which is really helpful. I think the key is to be realistic - I was desparate to bfeed until six months and it's just not possible for me. I was so much happier second time round - DS got all the colostrum he needed and as much breastmilk as I could produce - if you want any more info, CAT me, I have a great book on the subject.

Dejags
x

charleypops Tue 25-Jan-05 14:09:58

Hi dejags - I've just Cat'd you thanks!

Well done for breastfeeding! It's very encouraging

Sassy - you might find the BFAR website helpful - they have a section on the operation.

BTW the website address is acrually www.bfar.org (the com one's a picture restoration company )

noddyholder Tue 25-Jan-05 14:38:37

I heard that they can grow back.Drew Barrymore had it done and they were back to normal in less than 3 yrs,this is what puts me off otherwise I'd love it too!

JoolsToo Tue 22-Feb-05 09:44:39

same thing happended to Kym Mazelle - currently ITV's fit club - reduction and they grew back!

Chuffed Tue 22-Feb-05 10:25:58

My Mums didn't and my auties didn't grow back either. The growing back thing was one of the reasons I wanted to wait until after babies as you just don't know what hormones will do to you...they can also do a lift at the same time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now