Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

vaccinations and asthma

(31 Posts)
SenoraPostrophe Sun 23-Jan-05 15:41:45

I've started a new thread as the old one has become a bit lost and long.

I want to discuss the link that sophable mentioned between vaccinations and asthma and what if any research has been done on it.

Ds is well overdue for his 3rd DTP and Hep B (given to babies as standard here) and is probably asthmatic. As it goes, he would probably be asthmatic anyway as dh, his grandfather and maternal uncles are all asthmatic. But I'm interested anyway.

Please only post links by the way, not long quotes. Find it easier to follow then.

My own current view (based on general reading and experience) is that the rise in asthma is caused by overuse of household antibacterial agents rather than vaccinations but I can be persuaded. Perhaps it's a combination of both.

tamum Sun 23-Jan-05 15:49:20

I think you're right, SP. There is an abstract here , and I posted a link to a full paper that contradicted one that was posted on the same thread here . This link relates only to pertussis and asthma, but is a good, large-scale, reliable study. Both are from proper peer-reviewed journals.

RTKangaMummy Sun 23-Jan-05 15:52:48

DS has asthma and has had all vaccines

His Asthma is due to prematurity and dependance on oxygen

We believe in vaccines

Jimjams Sun 23-Jan-05 17:21:19

senorapostraphe - I posted a link yesterday- but can't remember where- either on the old thread or on the OMG one in SN- which mentioned the possible link between the rise in autism, asthma and TH2 cells.

Jimjams Sun 23-Jan-05 17:22:21

rtkanga- yep that is a recognised cause of asthma- prematurity- but it is different from the atopic type asthma (Michel Odent talks about it a bit in his book on c-sections).

RTKangaMummy Sun 23-Jan-05 17:26:00

jimjams

I only really posted to give our experience with DS

I do realise that it is not the usual type of asthma

RTKangaMummy Sun 23-Jan-05 17:28:43

I usually do not post on vaccinations because DS has had all of them and I realise that lots of mumsnetters have very different opinions to me and people get very angry

I just thought I would post

sorry if I am off topic

SenoraPostrophe Sun 23-Jan-05 17:39:00

Jimjams - can't find it.

tamum - thanks. Interesting about hep B carrying a possible risk. I almost refused that one (don't see the point and remember dd getting a bit poorly after her hepB jabs - they don't quite coincide with the DTPs)

Also I note that the average onset of asthma was 11 months. I thought that they didn't diagnose asthma in under 2s?

Jimjams Sun 23-Jan-05 20:09:04

I can;t find it either not SP..... try searching for th2 asthma vaccinations and see what you get. You may get a lot of gobbledegook, but you may get some sensible research.

RTkanga- no it's completely relevant. Ds2 has been queried as asthmatic every now and then (I don't think he is) - he was born by c-section at 38 weeks and acted very prem- had trouble breathing - needed to go in an incubator etc he is prone to chestiness during winter etc and so I was interested to read Odents book. it's the main reason I wanted to go into labour with ds3 naturally (even though it ended up with a c section I at least knew he was cooked).

leahbump Sun 23-Jan-05 20:27:47

I was premature (6weeks) and diagnosed with asthma at about 9 years old. i would atribute a series of factors to my diagnosis as I was entirely fine up to 9.

1-My mother diagnosed in her 40's, brother also at about 9 and grandfather in his 50's are all asthmatic (note the only one in my immediate family who isn't is my father -who smokes ).
2-prematurity may have had something to do with it.
3-I certainly have felt 10 times better when living out of the city and since we stopped using washing powder and many other chemicals (use eco products) and interestingly ds skin is much less dry when not using washign powder!
4-I was diagnosed shortly following our return to the uk having lived in saudia arabia. I have often wondered about air quality in the uk and possibly living out of the uk for 2 years and re-entering triggered it.

I was not aware of my asthma as being a different type. I certainly expereince much of the same as other asthmatics, I have also almost died follwoing a serious attack and dangerously low levels of oxygen in my blood and that was frightenning (as are most serious attacks). ALthough premmie asthma may have a diff cause, in my expereince some of the other potential hazards to asthmatics can definately be avoided and in turn an improved situation can be seen. (although that is not a medical experience just one of a v asthmatic family.)

As for the vacinations thing...I am not sure. Personally I feel that some vacinations protect people with chest problems from diseases that would be more threatenning than to a non-asthmatic. I also feel personally that- having coped with asthma most of my life- it is managable (in most cases) whereas measles could kill my children. That is only my personal opinion though and I respect others who chose to not vacinate. I suppose you might say that as I have a history I should be more careful about it all...but I am still pondering that one as ds prepares for MMR (talking to the health visitor on tues so if you've any sharp q's I can ask that would be great!).

Finally, diagnosis of asthma is resisted round here if under two. A friend recently underwent a horrid process where the dr's refused that her third child could be asthmatic it dragged on to the point where he was rushed into hossie...and his chest bone has set low because of it all. It turns out he may be asthmatic afterall. The horrid thing is that through the delay his chest structure may have been permanently damaged, as may his immune system. If I suspected asthma, I would really be pestering my dr and I would even consider going private (luckily we have savings) asthma is possible, it may be harder to diagnose....

Hope Im not off topic too much...but I am interested and will watch this one.

Jimjams Sun 23-Jan-05 20:47:43

leahbump- i think that once you have asthma then all the things like pollutants etc can trigger it off. I'm not so sure that they're now believed to be the underlying cause though iyswim. Certainly there will be a genetic element and atopy in particular runs in families.I have a feeling (and could be wrong- this is vaguely remembered and I may be confusing it with cot death) that new zealand has one of the highest rates of asthma in the world- and yet is very unpolluted for a developed country.

I don't think that ds2 is asthmatic as whilst he does all the coughing at night, coughing after running and is a bit puffy- he only does that in the winter. I think he's a bit chesty and because his air passages are small (he's only just 3) when he gets a virus he gets clogged up. I am keeping an eye on him though (he's been bad this winter!) He has been puffy from the moment he was born though (and his chest is kind of pigeonish- although getting better and the GP wasn't too concerned - luckily my GP is good).

RTKangaMummy Sun 23-Jan-05 20:50:26

DS was 27 weeks and spent 3 months ventilated and on oxygen

His asthma was diagnosed when he was 6 months actual and 3 months corrected

{He had 2 ages due to prematurity}

No one else in the family has or does have asthma

So there was never any question that his asthma was due to anything other than the effect of the oxygen and ventilation.

leahbump Sun 23-Jan-05 21:01:30

Jimjams,

I hope that ds2 isn't! however I did want to add that all the asthmatics in my family are worse at night (although excersice depends as my bro is quite fit!). I also wanted to add that it would be interesting to see if your ds is reacting to temperature as I react when going from one extreme to another and am therefore worse in the winter.

I think it would be very hard to proove the pollutants are the cause- but then the effect they have is enough for all to be concerned and perhaps to be aware thatless chemicals and the like might provide a healthier environment for everyone to live in.

Been reading your posts about vacinations with interest, have found them helpful and informative- thanks

lockets Sun 23-Jan-05 21:06:30

Message withdrawn

RTKangaMummy Sun 23-Jan-05 21:09:02

not sure cos I had steriods injections

each week for 4 weeks before they were born

lockets Sun 23-Jan-05 21:10:39

Message withdrawn

RTKangaMummy Sun 23-Jan-05 21:11:05

for your nephew

That is brill

I was given the injections each week because from 23 weeks it was a waiting game

mears Sun 23-Jan-05 21:12:34

SP - I strongly believe there is a link between asthma and formula feeding. That is one of the reasons I wanted to exclusively breastfeed. I have one DS who is asthmatic but he was born 5 weeks early and vetilated for a week. They have all been immunised (except they had 1 MMR and not 2). The other 3 children are fine.

happymerryberries Sun 23-Jan-05 21:16:15

Most allergies as well isn't it mears?

ds has suspected asthma.....reacts badly to animal fur. Dd doesn't have it, but all of us have eczema and others in the family have hay fever etc.

Interstingly ds was 2 weeks early but had no breathing problems at all at birth

lockets Sun 23-Jan-05 21:16:44

Message withdrawn

RTKangaMummy Sun 23-Jan-05 21:18:52

wow she went from 23 weeks to 36 weeks

that is brilliant

hope it goes for 3rd preg.

lockets Sun 23-Jan-05 21:19:59

Message withdrawn

RTKangaMummy Sun 23-Jan-05 21:22:08

was she bed bound in hosp all that time?

lockets Sun 23-Jan-05 21:29:32

Message withdrawn

RTKangaMummy Sun 23-Jan-05 21:31:14

brill

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now