Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Advice needed following fall

(20 Posts)
HappyMumof2 Sun 23-Jan-05 09:54:46

Message withdrawn

Casmie Sun 23-Jan-05 09:57:07

HappyMumof2, to be honest I tend to veer on the "paranoid mummy" school of thought. The fact that there was a definite swelling on her leg and it's still there, I think I'd want it checked out just for peace of mind.

hugs.

You could always try NHS Direct and see if they think it would be okay to leave it until normal surgery hours tomorrow rather than go to A&E?

Newbarnsleygirl Sun 23-Jan-05 09:58:06

Call Nhs direct and see what they say. It could be worth taking her to have it x-rayed though. I would go now though if you do before it gets busy.
Hope she's ok.

galaxy Sun 23-Jan-05 09:59:37

I think you should call NHS direct. I'd get it checked out personally.

HappyMumof2 Sun 23-Jan-05 10:00:40

Message withdrawn

lockets Sun 23-Jan-05 10:00:45

Message withdrawn

HappyMumof2 Sun 23-Jan-05 10:01:05

Message withdrawn

Newbarnsleygirl Sun 23-Jan-05 10:02:00

Just take some toys or something she likes to distract her.

LIZS Sun 23-Jan-05 10:04:55

If you are worried about it go - try to keep calm as it is more likely she picks up on your nerves than any memory at 13 weeks. Chances are it is just bruised, especially if she is weight bearing , but have known toddlers fracture arms where it has not been an obvious problem for a day or two. Their bones are pretty soft but an awkward fall can still cause damage.

dd tipped her 3 wheeler and caught her leg underneath last year as it fell on its side. It didn't swell much but she was obviously in pain and bruised. Wouldn't walk on it, even the following morning. Had just made her an appointment at emergency dr the next day (at a really awkward time) when ran into a neighbour with her dd - mine suddenly came back to life and started racing around. Cancelled it but did go to own dr the next day, by which time she still limped a bit Dr didn't think it was fractured but if it troubled her further would arrange an xray. Within a few days it was forgotten about and she was back to normal.

Hope all is well

galaxy Sun 23-Jan-05 10:12:58

I think for your own piece of mind, you should take her to be seen either to casualty or phone your doctor's out of hours service and find out where the clinic is today and take her there.

If you fret over it all day, she'll pick up on it.

The hospital or doctor will understand your concern.

HappyMumof2 Sun 23-Jan-05 16:55:36

Message withdrawn

Casmie Sun 23-Jan-05 17:20:31

HappyMumof2: so glad that the visit went smoothly and that the fracture has been picked up. Poor little mite. Lots of hugs for her and lots of wine for you tonight, methinks

HappyMumof2 Sun 23-Jan-05 18:16:52

Message withdrawn

lockets Sun 23-Jan-05 18:18:27

Message withdrawn

galaxy Sun 23-Jan-05 18:23:09

So glad to hear that you went with your gut instinct. So often we feel like over=protective mothers don't we?

Lonelymum Sun 23-Jan-05 18:27:56

Oh so sorry to read this HappyMumof2. I have more experience of this than I should have: ds2 broke his leg aged 19 months (and split his head open twice, requiring the wound to be glued) and ds1 broke his arm very badly last March and again (but not badly this time) last week! I was going to say take your dd to hospital as I am such an expert on these things and swelling is usually always worth getting checked out. Glad you went in the end. Hopefully, she won't need a cast - the fact that she can crawl and stand on it are good signs. Ds2 couldn't take his weight on his or walk, and he had to wear a full length cast for five weeks in the height of summer! Phwew did it pong by the end of the five weeks!

HappyMumof2 Sun 23-Jan-05 18:28:14

Message withdrawn

HappyMumof2 Sun 23-Jan-05 18:30:00

Message withdrawn

Lonelymum Sun 23-Jan-05 18:32:56

Definitely some are more accident prone. Our dd hasn't bumped or broken anything (yet!) Getting nervous though because ds3 is absolutely fearless and will be 2 next month. Surely he will do something soon?

HappyMumof2 Sun 23-Jan-05 18:36:49

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now