Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

baba got waxy ear

(17 Posts)
biglips Sat 22-Jan-05 12:42:38

baba is 16 weeks old and i looked in her ear and there is orange wax coming out of her ear (the reason why i look in her ear alot coz DP and his family inc his DD suffer from very waxy ears)

what can i do?

Lonelymum Sat 22-Jan-05 12:56:58

If baby is otherwise well, I don't think this is necessarily a problem is it? You should not poke anything into baby's ear but anything easily accessible can be removed.

biglips Sat 22-Jan-05 12:58:08

i havent touch her ear yet as wax is just abit dripping itself out

Lonelymum Sat 22-Jan-05 12:59:35

Dripping? Literally? You mean it is runny?

SPARKLER1 Sat 22-Jan-05 13:00:51

my dd had a really waxy ear once and was very unwell too. It was a nasty ear infection. Is DD wel otherwise???

Twiglett Sat 22-Jan-05 13:03:01

DD gets visible wax too (and so did DS)

if its not excessive (ie not an infection)

then when she's in the bath, take a corner of a cloth dipped in the warm water and just wipe downwards gently .. do not ever be tempted to use cotton buds

biglips Sat 22-Jan-05 15:58:46

lonelymum - thats the word i couldnt find - it is runny . and baba is well too. ill give her a bath tmrw and gently clean her ear with a warm water cloth... as i wasnt sure whether i could use cotton buds but now i know

BadHair Sat 22-Jan-05 16:20:04

I use cotton buds on the outside of the ear, just don't ever put them into the ear canal.

dinosaur Sat 22-Jan-05 18:06:25

biglips has she been unwell? This recently happened with my DS3, and it turned out he'd had a middle ear infection, his eardrum had burst and the stuff that came out of his ear was pus, not wax!

Lonelymum Sat 22-Jan-05 18:48:13

Yes i would be worrying if the stuff coming out was runny. Usually ear wax is just that - waxy.

biglips Sun 23-Jan-05 00:13:15

yes baba is her usual self and not crying etc. so poss only waxy ear or otherwise she be screaming wouldnt she?

fairyfly Sun 23-Jan-05 00:15:19

Could you ring NHS direct, that the best idea and then at least you wont be worried all night.

The thread title sounds like a dance remix to me though, quite like it

biglips Sun 23-Jan-05 00:16:39

KathH Sun 23-Jan-05 08:14:01

with ds1 he always had runny ear wax and constant ear infections - gp said because the infections hot it can melt the wax - dont think i've explained very well but hope you understand what i mean. having said that though, when he had ear infections he used to scream (and i mean scream!)all night and have temperature. i'd get checked out by gp as may be mild infection.

KathH Sun 23-Jan-05 08:19:29

just had a thought - did you post somewhere else that baby has just had a cold/cough? Apologies if it wasnt you (brain must be getting frazzled) but ds1 always got ear infection after a cough or a cold and still does now.

biglips Sun 23-Jan-05 12:36:32

yes i did and she still got her cough but docs said its not on her chest just in the back of her throat.

KathH Sun 23-Jan-05 17:45:34

bless her - hope shes better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now