Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Burn Your Bra - Breast Cancer

(18 Posts)
jordylass Sat 22-Jan-05 08:43:37

I was searching for something else and came across this, it makes for intersting reading!

Health article index >>

Burn Your Bra, Revisited

A new study shows that wearing a bra is linked to higher incidence of breast cancer. Women who wear a bra 24 hours a day are 125 times a likely to develop cancer as women who don1t wear one at all, according to medical anthropologists Sydney Ross Singer and Soma Grismaijer. In a study involving 4,700 women, those who never wore a bra had the same incidence of breast cancer as men a rare condition. Women who worebras for more than 12 hours but did not sleep in them had 21 times the risk as women who wore a bra for less than 12 hours.

It is postulated that lymphatic vessels are blocked by the bra, keeping lymphocytes (white blood cells) from their role in destroying abnormal cells, and leading to malignancies. However, even without knowing the exact mechanism, the correlation is significant: 4 to 12 times as great as the connection between smoking and lung cancer. Singer and Grismaijer's book, Dressed to Kill: The Link Between Breast Cancer and Bras, elaborates on their research.

pixiefish Sat 22-Jan-05 08:46:42

interesting

bluesky Sat 22-Jan-05 11:06:57

but who wears theirs at night?

jampots Sat 22-Jan-05 11:08:11

well i dont wear one at night so loafing in bed in the morning and not getting dressed 'til midday is actually good for my health?

weightwatchingwaterwitch Sat 22-Jan-05 11:10:06

Where's tamum? I'd be interested to know the source of this.

Freckle Sat 22-Jan-05 11:12:35

Blimey. If I didn't wear a bra, I'd end up with bruises on my knees! Don't wear one in bed anyway.

batters Sat 22-Jan-05 11:16:10

I do feel very wary about articles like this. I don't know whether it is true or not, but I think anyone worried about it would need to do more research on the source of the article.

morningpaper Sat 22-Jan-05 12:07:53

Who wears bras 24 hours a day?! Even in a sample of 4700 women, there can't have been that many I wouldn't have thought?

morningpaper Sat 22-Jan-05 12:11:12

If you do a search on Google you will see that this study is not peer-reviewed and is considered more of an internet 'urban myth'.

SPARKLER1 Sat 22-Jan-05 12:40:50

Only time I wore a bra to bed was when I was breast feeding. Needed to have something to keep the breast pads in - otherwise I would have drowned in breast milk!!!!!!!!!!

bonniej Sat 22-Jan-05 12:45:27

I wear one in bed and my mum died of breast cancer so now I'm terrified

SPARKLER1 Sat 22-Jan-05 12:47:03

Can't bear to wear one in bed. Like to feel "free" at night!

Flossam Sat 22-Jan-05 12:47:22

I've always worn my bra to bed at night, can't sleep without it, or knickers in fact! Have to have pillows just so, a nice cool bedroom and definately no socks! So I think we can draw from this that I am more than a little odd! Am BF at the mo though, so won't worry about this research for a few months yet.

SueW Sat 22-Jan-05 12:51:15

Do you think they looked at whether the bras were well-fitting? Surely a well-fitting one wouldn't stop any drainage whereas a badly fitting one could arguably do so. Like the importance of a well-fitting bra when breastfeeding - otherwise can add to possibility of mastitis.

Slinky Sat 22-Jan-05 13:43:49

It is an "urban myth" - along with "oral sex decreases the risk of breast cancer" - yes really!! I bet that one was written by a man

Gwenick Sat 22-Jan-05 14:20:41

Flossam - if you're odd - I'm odd. Always wear a bra and knickers in bed (even if DH and I have an 'early night' I put them on again afterwards ), pillows have to be right, and lots of them , prefer the bedroom warm though

janeybops Sat 22-Jan-05 14:42:32

does it specify underwired or not?

mummytojames Sat 22-Jan-05 14:47:55

i think if there is any truthin this study it is under badly fitted bras because that has been proven the badly fitted bras can cause a lot of problems later on in life so come on girls make sure you get you tape measures out every time you buy a bra because its said that they can grow slightly or shrink slightly up until your fifties

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now