Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Horribly dry flaky lips!!

(18 Posts)
Vic69 Fri 21-Jan-05 09:23:09

I know there are many more severe problems, but this is making me feel really run down..
I'm 28 weeks pg and have had horribly dry lips for the last few months, despite buying E45 heavy duty lip balm, or more 'natural' balm from Lush which isn't petroleum based - nothing makes a blind bit of difference. I drink pints of water (always have done), so just can't work this out. I read somewhere that dry lips can be related to a zinc deficiency - anyone else heard this? And anyone got any good ideas about what to do?? thanks!

moi Fri 21-Jan-05 09:26:23

carmex lip balm

BigFatHeiferEnid Fri 21-Jan-05 09:36:27

Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream - a miracle worker

CountessDracula Fri 21-Jan-05 09:37:49

L'Occitane's Shea Butter is amazing. Their stuff really is good.

Marina Fri 21-Jan-05 09:44:13

I have indeed heard that zinc deficiency can cause this, Vic. If you are not veggie, there are good levels of zinc in pork and shellfish apparently.
Or maybe it might be worth taking a supplement for a few weeks to see if it makes a difference?

starlover Fri 21-Jan-05 11:30:53

ditto MOI!
Carmex is the way to go!

pixiefish Fri 21-Jan-05 11:55:53

I spose you've tried blistex haven't you?? Stupid sugestion really but that really works for me

Prufrock Fri 21-Jan-05 12:40:29

Could it be thrush? I have got it in my breasts (and ds in his mouth) and also have a patch on my lip. It is red and scaly and the skin keeps peeling off in quite big patches

Sponge Fri 21-Jan-05 12:53:09

Trouble is once thye're dry you keep licking them and chewing at them which gets rid of whatever cream you put on and dries them again.
Put a good coating of cream on, leave it to soften them for a bit then scrub them with an old toothbrush. Sounds weird but gets all the dry bits off and makes them more comfortable. I read somewhere that this is what models do and it does work.

dawnybabs26 Fri 21-Jan-05 13:08:58

Carmex is the best lip balm.
Its cooling and doesn't dry out you lips even more like some lipbalms can

starlover Fri 21-Jan-05 13:19:56

AND britney uses it! so it MUST be good! hehe

dawnybabs26 Fri 21-Jan-05 13:21:24

I'd heard that too Starlover

Lucycat Fri 21-Jan-05 13:23:41

The dry toothbrush tip really works Sponge! stops you wanting to just nibble off the dry bits and making your lips bleed!!

bids Sun 23-Jan-05 09:55:42

I understand! These kind of irritations can really get you down.
I use a lovely lip balm from Melaleuca, the wellness company, it has vitamin E, jojoba oil, cocoa butter, beeswax and tea-tree oil which penetrates and soothes.
Best one I've found!
See small ad, healthy homes for more info..

weightwatchingwaterwitch Sun 23-Jan-05 09:56:21

I second Blistex, find it very effective.

weightwatchingwaterwitch Sun 23-Jan-05 09:56:41

Cheap too! And works quickly.

happymerryberries Sun 23-Jan-05 09:59:50

Blistex is brill

hoxtonchick Sun 23-Jan-05 10:10:23

elizabeth arden do a specific 8 hour lip balm which is great.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: