Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Scalp psoriasis and swollen glands anyone?

(14 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 02-Jun-08 13:16:27

Went to gps about a couple of things today (other bit in another post bloody hypochondriac I am!)

Anyway scalp psoriasis is badly flared at moment. Mentioned to gp that my glands in neck have been swollen a while. She felt and said that there were a few up. She didn't think it was the psoriasis but it might be. So two weeks of steroid scalp solution to try and calm down the psoriais to see if it brings the glands down and a blood test at end of two weeks to check white cell count which apparently was low last time considering amount of psoriasis I had.

So... does anyone else get glands up when their psoriasis flares? tis a good opportunity to put my mind at rest (not that I'm overly worried cos bodies do strange things)

thanks

zonedout Mon 02-Jun-08 13:23:38

i'm not sure that my glands come up when my psoriasis flares, more that when i am ill or run down (thus more likely to have swollen glands) my psoriasis always gets much much worse... so could it be that you are fighting something else which in turn is triggering the flare up?

sympathies, scalp psoriasis is nasty. have suffered since a child.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 02-Jun-08 13:31:33

It could be that I'm fighting something off.

Feel tired, achy and a bit weak but I always feel like this with a psoriasis flare. Seen a rheumy about the achiness 6 years ago and he reckoned psoriatic arthritis. No coughs, colds, sore throats. and before the flare I felt really good. So I'm not sure whether I'm fighting something that is brining out the psoriasis or whether the psoriasis is making me feel wretched!!

You're too right about the scalp psoriasis. I can cope with it, even when its pretty severe on the rest of my body but on the scalp it gets me down! feels so tight and itchy and I'm flaking everywhere - had to wipe down the dentists chair last week after my teeth were cleaned.

thanks for the reply

worrybum Mon 02-Jun-08 13:41:05

Hi OYBK

I had this about 13 years ago. Whilst i was studying for my a levels I had a really bad time with psoriasis on my scalp (at the bottom near my neck). Doctor thought it was stress related. I had a gland come up in the left side of my neck, gp thought it was very much connected to the psoriasis in that they pop up in areas where your body is trying to fend these sort of things off IYKWIM. She told me at the time that the gland may not go down and it hasn't. Still there, I can move it around but the psoriasis has gone!

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 02-Jun-08 13:45:51

Interesting - thanks worrybum. i bet its just the same then - phew!

zonedout Mon 02-Jun-08 18:30:58

hmmm, for me its a toss up between my scalp and my nailbed psoriasis which not only looks completely hideous but hurts like hell if i so much as use my nails to gently open a cereal carton!

but the itchiness of the scalp is hideous. so too is the leaving trails behind blush

mmm, how sexy do i sound???!!! only good news is mine gets a lot better when i am pregnant (which i currently am) but gets so much worse again after the birth sad

anyway, i wish you better quickly whatever it is that is causing the swollen glands and flare up. smile

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 02-Jun-08 19:51:22

huge sympathies with the nail psoriasis - only get a bit on my toes - you poor thing!

Am very sexy tonight - have got coconut oil rubbed into my scalp and then several layers of clingfilm wrapped around. Theres no way the steroid will get through unless I can get rid of some scale.

Thanks for the well wishes

zonedout Mon 02-Jun-08 20:55:51

grin at the sexy cling film image. my mum used to cling film my arms as a child!

have you ever tried cocois for your scalp? it is actually the only non-steroidal treatment that i have found helps soothe my head a little. it is very smelly and stains badly but i have found that using it every night for a week or so (covering pillows well with old towels and moving partner/child/dog/hamster into the spare room for fear of asphixiation from the fumes)really helps to shift the worst of it.

re the nailbed psoriasis... at least i can cover it up with nail polish so not all bad hmm

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 02-Jun-08 21:25:53

not used cocois for ages!! I kind of find the smell of coal tar and sulphur stuff quite comforting blush it reminds me of being a kid and being looked after.

have done my scalp now - ended up losing loads of hair and it stings loads.

oh I'm a barrel of laughs tonight grin

never had cling film on arms - stocking net from head to toe (except when I was in hospital they cut out a hole so I could suck my thumb )

zonedout Mon 02-Jun-08 21:50:41

ouch and sad to the stingy scalp and losing loads of hair. you poor thing. hopefully it will feel soothed in the morning though.

actually, i rather like the smell of coal tar too. i like it a lot, in fact.

shock at the head to toe stocking net... you must have looked like a mini burglar. thank goodness for thumb access though!

right, now i really am off to bed... xx

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 02-Jun-08 21:53:50

lol at miniburglar!!!
sleep well and thanks

worrybum Mon 02-Jun-08 22:26:49

Just a thought OYBBK........

saw that you have posted another thread about tingling/numbness in hands and you mention on here that you feel tired and achy etc. If you don't get anywhere with the hand surgeon maybe you could ask you gp to refer you to a rhemy again.

the reason I say this is because you have a combination of symptoms and they might be better at identifying whether there is one underlying cause than your gp. my gp admitted this to me himself several weeks ago and i was referred because I am suffering from a whole range of symptoms including aching and burning pains, fatigue, skin conditions and funnily enough tingling sensations in hands coupled with pains similar to carpel tunneland this has been going on for several years. blood tests have not shown anything. the rhemy believes i actually have fibromyalgia!!!

obviously i am in no way suggesting that what you have is the same but just saying that there is probably more that can be done for you even when the docs have run out of ideas. make sure you find the help you need if you don't feel better or don't get the answers you need at your first port of call IYKWIM.I changed gps in order to be taken seriously and they have been fantastic.

Anyway, hope you are feeling better soon.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 03-Jun-08 10:46:40

I think I need to see a rheumy again too. I am convinced that it is all connected - otherwise I'm an astonishingly unlucky person!! Its got the point where I daren't tell friends I've been referred to an ortho hand surgeon, I've still got big issues left from the cataract surgery I had last year. (cataracts were brought on by steroids!)

Friends are just going to think I'm an attention seeker (though they have been nagging me to get my blue hands checked out for a while - weren't convinced by my thoughts that I might be turning into a smurf!)

GP seems to debate every time in her head whether I should see rheumy or derm and I end up with neither! We just play around with meds til it settles again and it all just takes such a long time!

Really interesting that you suffer with such a similar set of symptoms to me. I've always just lumped it together as psoriatic arthritis with extra inflammatory things.
Next appt I think I'll mention to her - say a friend thought fibro - what does she think....

Thank you for your thoughts

ellise18uk Sat 27-Dec-14 18:31:51

ive recently just got psoriasis and the only thing ive done differently in the last year is eat loads of tomatoes due to starting a diet n cooking from scratch . it started in little patches all over my body dotted about now ive got it on my nose n chin n forehead i feel so depressed.ive also had way to many creams from the doctors that dont work or stop the itch. the worst for me is the itchiness on the scalp its dreadful its got to the point where its soo hard to sleep coz im itching like mad at night more. i have just found head n shoulders menthol. which wen i put it on it feels tingly an a bit sore but then no itch straight after ive washed it off unbelievable. so im sticking with that for my scalp. just recently aswell my lower back n top of my legs have been aching. i dont no if ive got the flu n its attacking my body or what i cant make sense of it. im hoping its part of the flu n it goes away in a few days if not im hoping im not getting arthiritus or something im only 28 lol. ive just bought a book on psoriasis on amazon called healing psoriasis by john o a pagano. its saying basically its my diet thats changing my skin and i admit my diet is terrible again now. so im thinking of doing the juice diet for 60 days to see if that gets rid of my psoriasis on jan the 1st. ill kepp u updated on how i go. its worked for skin diseases before on a film called fat sick n nearly dead you can watch it on facebook. even tho he hasnt got the same skin condition as us it still sounds similar the way it flares . after reading an putting bits of info together . i think its are gut. we need to change r lifestyles .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now