Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

herbs for period pains ?

(13 Posts)
boudicca Thu 20-Jan-05 11:25:26

Does anyone have any info on herbal stuff I could give my Dd-she's 15 but missing a lot of school time every month.
I've taken various things for hot flushes etc which I've found really good, but I don't know if they'd be any good for a youngster !

boudicca Thu 20-Jan-05 11:45:20

Newbarnsleygirl Thu 20-Jan-05 11:50:39

Evening Primrose oil. I have found nothing takes the pain away apart from Feminax. The only thing with it is that it can make you drowsy.

WigWamBam Thu 20-Jan-05 11:52:49

Evening Primrose oil and Vitamin B6 are both good but you have to give them about three months to really start to work.

boudicca Thu 20-Jan-05 11:55:37

thaks Nbg, have you used EP ?
She doesn't like being drowsy, and I guess if she was sleepy going to school would still be off.

valleygirl Thu 20-Jan-05 11:57:11

i started taking Starflower Oil which is meant to be stronger than Evening Primrose - whilst i still have period pain it's nothing as intense as it used to be, and I don't end up confined to bed at the end of the day with a hotel water bottle. one capsule a day then you stop when her period starts. For me it worked the first month I took it.
The doctor can prescribe something like Mefenamic Acid which is an anti-inflamatory.
Feminax is by far the best pain-killer I've used and so long as you don't take more than stated dose it should be ok.

boudicca Thu 20-Jan-05 11:58:14

thanks Wwb, i'd consider your recommendations, but three months is such a long time to wait when you're 15-still the sooner we start etc !

bundle Thu 20-Jan-05 12:00:21

oops - just tried to post and my computer went into spasm! try googling for an article which barbara lantin wrote re: herbs, there's a longish list but evidence is patchy on some. also google for magnets (there was an article in the argus newspaper in brighton re: them being used successfully for period pains, a small study was published in the BMJ i think)

boudicca Thu 20-Jan-05 12:01:52

Vg, starflower could be just what we're looking for-she was put on the pill by GP, but she didn't like taking 'drugs',I don't think they improved matters anyway.

boudicca Thu 20-Jan-05 12:03:41

Bundle I'll try that,
maybe your computer's hoirmonal!

Newbarnsleygirl Thu 20-Jan-05 12:03:45

Yeah I take EP but I find it only really helps with PMT. B6 is good but I don't take it for period pains. She could just take 1 feminax tablet instead of 2 but how affective it would be then I don't know. You never know it might not make her drowsy. I'm going to try starflower oil now.

bundle Thu 20-Jan-05 12:05:01

exactly. must give it some starflower oil...

boudicca Thu 20-Jan-05 12:10:48

Bundle, I've just read Barbara Lantin-very interesting. I've taken Dong Quai and Black Cohosh and found them very good for my hot flushes ,maybe we'll try these as well-though not at the same time !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: