Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

herbs for period pains ?

(13 Posts)
boudicca Thu 20-Jan-05 11:25:26

Does anyone have any info on herbal stuff I could give my Dd-she's 15 but missing a lot of school time every month.
I've taken various things for hot flushes etc which I've found really good, but I don't know if they'd be any good for a youngster !

boudicca Thu 20-Jan-05 11:45:20

Newbarnsleygirl Thu 20-Jan-05 11:50:39

Evening Primrose oil. I have found nothing takes the pain away apart from Feminax. The only thing with it is that it can make you drowsy.

WigWamBam Thu 20-Jan-05 11:52:49

Evening Primrose oil and Vitamin B6 are both good but you have to give them about three months to really start to work.

boudicca Thu 20-Jan-05 11:55:37

thaks Nbg, have you used EP ?
She doesn't like being drowsy, and I guess if she was sleepy going to school would still be off.

valleygirl Thu 20-Jan-05 11:57:11

i started taking Starflower Oil which is meant to be stronger than Evening Primrose - whilst i still have period pain it's nothing as intense as it used to be, and I don't end up confined to bed at the end of the day with a hotel water bottle. one capsule a day then you stop when her period starts. For me it worked the first month I took it.
The doctor can prescribe something like Mefenamic Acid which is an anti-inflamatory.
Feminax is by far the best pain-killer I've used and so long as you don't take more than stated dose it should be ok.

boudicca Thu 20-Jan-05 11:58:14

thanks Wwb, i'd consider your recommendations, but three months is such a long time to wait when you're 15-still the sooner we start etc !

bundle Thu 20-Jan-05 12:00:21

oops - just tried to post and my computer went into spasm! try googling for an article which barbara lantin wrote re: herbs, there's a longish list but evidence is patchy on some. also google for magnets (there was an article in the argus newspaper in brighton re: them being used successfully for period pains, a small study was published in the BMJ i think)

boudicca Thu 20-Jan-05 12:01:52

Vg, starflower could be just what we're looking for-she was put on the pill by GP, but she didn't like taking 'drugs',I don't think they improved matters anyway.

boudicca Thu 20-Jan-05 12:03:41

Bundle I'll try that,
maybe your computer's hoirmonal!

Newbarnsleygirl Thu 20-Jan-05 12:03:45

Yeah I take EP but I find it only really helps with PMT. B6 is good but I don't take it for period pains. She could just take 1 feminax tablet instead of 2 but how affective it would be then I don't know. You never know it might not make her drowsy. I'm going to try starflower oil now.

bundle Thu 20-Jan-05 12:05:01

exactly. must give it some starflower oil...

boudicca Thu 20-Jan-05 12:10:48

Bundle, I've just read Barbara Lantin-very interesting. I've taken Dong Quai and Black Cohosh and found them very good for my hot flushes ,maybe we'll try these as well-though not at the same time !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now